The Rhodebar thread!

There are rose comb rhode island reds out there. Why not make life easier and put the rhodebar over a rose comb RIR? I am sure that will make life easier in the long run. I just might have to get some rosecomb RIR. My rhodebar got hammered this winter with frost bite and my buckeye roo also got hit as well. I had ventilation and all that. It was just a freak winter deal.

Just a question as I caught up on this thread. To those wanting to get them in the standard, why not just try to get them accepted as a variety of Rhode Island Red? Type wise, people are breeding for RIR type, only difference is pattern. I am pretty sure the standard commitee would feel similar because it is only color so not enough differences to warrant a new breed. Plus it is wayyy easier to get a new color accepted.

I also saw someone ask about buckbar- it was an idea I kicked around for a while but couldn't get the right birds lined up. I stayed with the pure and rose comb legbars along with an ambar project.

I have what is probably an ignorant question, genetically. Has anyone crossed a Rhodebar with a Buckeye to get a peacomb? And what would doing so do to the autosexing gene? Would it stay intact or would you have to cross back onto the Rhodebar? Thanks.

Depends on which way you do the cross . Rhodebar male over buckeye hens will give you barred pullets and single barred cockerels . Not able to sex at hatch because all will be single barred . Buckeye rooster over Rhodebar hens = sex linked pullets . I have heard Buckbar mentioned somewhere . You can restore autosexing   by breeding barred hens back to a double barred male .

No, not quite that straight forward, but that's a good simplified version. Your comb is not linked to other genes, so using Buckeyes for improvement won't get you the type you want, but it's doable. My RIR I am using have rose combs. I like the RC because I have no frostbite issues.
your biggest challenge with the buckeye is that it has very different type than what you're looking for.

So, yes you can work with that cross to create an autosexing breed but it won't be a rhodebar, it will be something else.

The standard being developed for the rhodebar is based on the RIR standard.

There are rose comb rhode island reds out there. Why not make life easier and put the rhodebar over a rose comb RIR? I am sure that will make life easier in the long run. I just might have to get some rosecomb RIR. My rhodebar got hammered this winter with frost bite and my buckeye roo also got hit as well. I had ventilation and all that. It was just a freak winter deal.

Yes, this is what I'm doing. And yes, both RC and SC are being written into the new RHODEBAR standard

Just a question as I caught up on this thread. To those wanting to get them in the standard, why not just try to get them accepted as a variety of Rhode Island Red? Type wise, people are breeding for RIR type, only difference is pattern. I am pretty sure the standard commitee would feel similar because it is only color so not enough differences to warrant a new breed. Plus it is wayyy easier to get a new color accepted.

I also saw someone ask about buckbar- it was an idea I kicked around for a while but couldn't get the right birds lined up. I stayed with the pure and rose comb legbars along with an ambar project.

This was something already discussed with the Standards Committee. The RIR club if America has not had a standard change in more than 100 years and has no desire to do this. However, the Rhodebar Standard being developed is based on the RIR standard. The first official Rhodebar meet will be at the Knoxville show in Dec 2015 where the judges will be presented with a copy of the draft of that standard.

This was something already discussed with the Standards Committee. The RIR club if America has not had a standard change in more than 100 years and has no desire to do this. However, the Rhodebar Standard being developed is based on the RIR standard. The first official Rhodebar meet will be at the Knoxville show in Dec 2015 where the judges will be presented with a copy of the draft of that standard.

Since there is already a British Standard for Rhodebar, isn't that the logical place to start? I'm not a show person, but it just makes sense to me.

Since there is already a British Standard for Rhodebar, isn't that the logical place to start?  I'm not a show person, but it just makes sense to me.

The US SOP being proposed is actually a combination of the two since the British SOP is very broad.

Back
Top Bottom