The Rhodebar thread!

Pics
genetics is a Science, you can Recreate breeds if you have enough genetic material to work with. simple as that, but I dont expect you to believe this,
I try to tell people this all the time! We have the genetics here in the US to 'make' just about any chicken out there in the world these days. Many folks want to import and have instant results but, if you know what you're doing, you can 'make' them on your own. Another side track but I am tempted to remake some red leghorns since all the birds sold as red leghorns these days look more like a white earlobed RIR. I have a dream of making an autosexing rhodebar style leghorn but I have a plan to make them using nothing but pure leghorns.

Sorry about taking this thread so off topic

Honestly unless I am mistaken and I may be.but Greenfire Farms imported the rhodebars .I hate to put them down because they have done as much or more than anyone as far I know in the US to bring in nice and different breeds.But their Rhodebars are almost all throwing green or blue eggs.That makes me wonder if they didnt just cross the legbars with RIR's to create their own version of rhodebars.I hope I am wrong.I have a pair from them that are laying green eggs.Their answer is they are pure breed but no comment on the green eggs.I am doing a yes project where I am trying to make rose comb rhodebars using rose comb RIR's and a greenfire farm Rhodebar roo.I will not even consider calling them rhodebars until at least F3.I just want a auto sexing rose comb good laying bird.I will always be honest about exactly what I used to get to where I am at.
Thanks' James

What makes the Rhodebar breed is the RIR. Rhodebars are auto-sexing barred RIRs and the features of the Rhodebar should be that of a barred RIR. Not everybody used Brussbars when they were developing their strains of Rhodebars. UBC developed their strain from RIR and BPR, if I understand it correctly.

So while all the auto-sexing barred breeds are their own breeds they are supposed to be auto-sexing barred versions of what ever the parent stock is and should represent that breed, such as the RIR, unless I totally misunderstand the purpose of the Rhodebars (and the other auto-sexing barred breeds).
Hmmm, I really disagree here. The Legbar is not simple a barred Leghorn, the Cambar is not simply a barred Campine. In order to remain true to TYPE, outcrossing is important, but there is still a difference between auto-sexing and a breed. Others have different opinions - and that's fine. When you read about the history, please notice that these were developed FROM these initial stock breeds - they are not simple crosses. It really takes at least 4 generations to produce them - in the case of Legbars, longer.

Purpose? The purpose was simply an auto-sexing utility. An actual BREED has to breed true. Which it cannot do immediately after being outcrossed.

Please realize I am differentiating between sex-linked results and true breeding. There is zero argument that outcrossing produces sexable chicks. If that's what you want, go for it. If your desire is to preserve a *breed* as a whole, then you need to be more careful.

As my desire is for the conservation of the breed, many of the posts I have seen give the impression that there is confusion as to what is being done regarding the propagation of this breed.

genetics is a Science, you can Recreate breeds if you have enough genetic material to work with. simple as that, but I dont expect you to believe this,
???

You highlighted things I wrote and said "so much wrong" - you still haven't explained. Did I say it was not possible to recreate the breed? No.

Why are you being mean?

Honestly unless I am mistaken and I may be.but Greenfire Farms imported the rhodebars .I hate to put them down because they have done as much or more than anyone as far I know in the US to bring in nice and different breeds.But their Rhodebars are almost all throwing green or blue eggs.That makes me wonder if they didnt just cross the legbars with RIR's to create their own version of rhodebars.I hope I am wrong.I have a pair from them that are laying green eggs.Their answer is they are pure breed but no comment on the green eggs.I am doing a yes project where I am trying to make rose comb rhodebars using rose comb RIR's and a greenfire farm Rhodebar roo.I will not even consider calling them rhodebars until at least F3.I just want a auto sexing rose comb good laying bird.I will always be honest about exactly what I used to get to where I am at.
Thanks' James
James, I, too, admire Greenfire for the work they have done. Which is why I really cannot believe that they are intentionally producing green-egg-layers and calling them Rhodebars.

When you say "their Rhodebars are almost all" - do you mean the ones you have? Or are you referring to others that have green layers as well? I think that's a really big assumption to make - because it may have been a one-time mix-up and there are a set batch of hens out there from that one group.

That blue egg gene is incompletely dominant; it will be interesting to hear how many generations you go through before it's gone. But since you are tossing in a different comb anyway, why not keep the egg color?

James, I, too, admire Greenfire for the work they have done. Which is why I really cannot believe that they are intentionally producing green-egg-layers and calling them Rhodebars.

When you say "their Rhodebars are almost all" - do you mean the ones you have? Or are you referring to others that have green layers as well? I think that's a really big assumption to make - because it may have been a one-time mix-up and there are a set batch of hens out there from that one group.

That blue egg gene is incompletely dominant; it will be interesting to hear how many generations you go through before it's gone. But since you are tossing in a different comb anyway, why not keep the egg color?
There are two people on Ebay advertising Rhodebars and saying blue/green eggs.I have them and know another breeder that has them so that is four people that got their birds from Greenfire that are getting green eggs.So no maybe not all but too many!!!! If I were Greenfire Farms If they felt is was a mistake that a few of these crosses got out there I would either replace these birds with true Rhodebars or give a refund.They refuse to do either.

Last edited:
I try to tell people this all the time! We have the genetics here in the US to 'make' just about any chicken out there in the world these days. Many folks want to import and have instant results but, if you know what you're doing, you can 'make' them on your own. Another side track but I am tempted to remake some red leghorns since all the birds sold as red leghorns these days look more like a white earlobed RIR. I have a dream of making an autosexing rhodebar style leghorn but I have a plan to make them using nothing but pure leghorns.

Sorry about taking this thread so off topic
I agree with you... you have the genetic pool to Re Create just about all the chicken breeds out there... given that you know what your doing and educate yourself on the matter, or seek advised here on this forum....
hugs.gif

Thanks' James
I believe them, when they say they imported them, but I guess they didnt get a good enough breeding like of them..

Back
Top Bottom