The Rhodebar thread!

Pics
Any benefits to mating a homozygous barred RIR to a rhodebar rooster?
do you mean a Hemizygous barred hen? hens can only have on copy of sex linked barring gene(B/-) ....

let me see if I can read your mind ond ask the correct question....

any benefits of mating a barred RIR out of a RhxRIR cross to a Rhodebar rooster?...

well that mating its called 1st Back Cross to parent(BC1) and the Chicks coming out of that cross are called BC1, this will produce 50% autosexing Rhodebars...(and 50% wheaten/wildtype none autosexing chicks)...

using the chicken calculator(I have one of this calculator on my brain...
lau.gif
) you will see that you will get 50% e+/e+ chicks(autosexing able chick down) and 50% Double barred e+/e+ males(autosexable)

parents

chicks...

ANY BENEFITS? well seeing how it only took two generations to get back at Rhodebars from the good type RIR I would expect this Rhodebars to be of a better quality than the original parent(which should have only a distant relation to RIR) this is how the Rhodebar as a breed should be reinvigorated in my humble opinion

Sounds good I do have the Heritage RIR, so that will be my plan.

Those "barred RIR barnyard chicken mixes" are just gorgeous in my opinion, but maybe that is because of the time put into them.
Thanks

Also going to start working on the Gold Wybar LF as well, considering your previous posts, though it appears a lot of culls will be produced, I have a good market here to sell the culls for meat. Just waiting on the Barred Rock to grow some feathers back and start laying again.

seeing how Rhodbars and RIR are very close genetically(autosexing traits making the difference) a Backcross to Rhodebar should never be called mutts as long as they are autosexable

Edit.. only the BC1 that are not autosexable(not Rhodebars at all, just Barred RIR) should not be called Rhodebars at all, just project birds,
Ahhh - I understand. The "hybrid/mutt" post was in reference to posts about creating something OTHER than a Rhodebar - autosexing, though - on what *thought* was a thread about a pure breed.

Two separate posts - not intended to be connected. I can see why there would be hostility...
th.gif

We have Green Fire Rhodebars. We have not started any breeding this time of year and they are in a grow out pen with other breeds. They have just startedlaying but not certain, if so then the egg is light brown. Here are a few of our birds.

This is our second rooster. I think I liks coloration better. However this fellow matured faster than the others and in the course of three days killed two rooster and a hen. That is why he finds mself a bachaler at this time.

Have you found your RB roo's to be particularly aggressive, or was it just the one-off?
Well we had 5 RB roosters the one matured before the others, he was biggest and darkest color. There was no signs of fighting at all, everyone seemed to get along. Then one day we found a dead roo. The next day two more dead roosters and we still had not seen any fighting. On the third day a dead hen. Then we pulled the rooster out of the pen. He has not shown us any agression at all? The last rooster was slower to mature and he is closer to the size of the hens. No problems from him yet. Once we have hatched enough hens to feel safe we will try the other rooster again because we like his type and color. Maybe by then the hens will be big enough that he won't be problem. I have asked about agression in the breed and have not had anyone tell me they have issues.

We have Green Fire Rhodebars.

I see the GFF hens need alot of work, some of the hens only show heterozygous columbian restrictor, and some lack columbian all together(salmon breast) seems like the hen on your right is lacking the Columbian Restrictor Co, she looks like th Barred wildtype hens I posted a while ago...

here they are...

info on the effect of the Columbian gene on wildtype(e+) hens..

source Poultry Breeding and Genetics by R. D Crawford

Back
Top Bottom