The right thing to do

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Stormhorse23, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Its so sad. My girl loves her little brother and they scream when they're apart. She's getting flightly and prefers to be away from me. I am wondering if I should send her with her brother to their new home. They would be free ranging. Im crying as I write this. Raising her has been such a good experience but its obvious shes not happy here any longer. She loves to fly and run around. She just sits all the time. What is right?

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I think you already know. :|

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Chickens are a flock bird and love being together in a group. Even though pecking order seems cruel at times within the flock, they would rather be in the flock than alone. If your little pullet is going to be alone, then I think she would be lonely. Backyard flocks are given freedom to run and peck, cause that's what chickens love to do and are totally happy then. Sometimes letting go is hard, Good Luck.

bigzio

4. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I see no reason to let her go, unless that's what you want to do. She just doesn't like to be alone. Chickens are flock birds and don't like to be alone. So check with the person you are giving your roo to and see if they have a couple little hens they'd give you to keep her company. She'll be very happy with just a couple of girlfriends. [​IMG]

5. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Quote:ya like thats a nice way to say it :eek:

6. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Can she have a friend? She will always be unhappy as one bird.

7. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    I got her some buds (2 maximum) and they are coming on the 14th. She are Dusty are so bonded. How long will it take her to get over the seperation?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by