The Ring/Nail Test Experiment (Just for fun)

Pics
Very interesting stuff. Can't wait to see if it is true. I might try incubating my own eggs for the first time ever! Maybe I can get an accurate reading and know before the chicks are born.😮

If you want to know if it works, but make it simpler to manage: test each egg, and only incubate the ones that should be females. Then see if you get chicks that really are all females.

Or you could do all males--as long as you do only one gender, you don't have to keep each egg separate at hatching time, and you don't have to track individual chicks until they're old enough to show gender. (Sexlinks would also remove the chick-marking part of the experiment, because you could be sure of gender at day-old.)

Two incubators and two brooders would also work--all male eggs go in one incubator, all females in the other, each set of chicks moves to the appropriate brooder, you check accuracy when they're old enough to tell.

If you want to know if it works, but make it simpler to manage: test each egg, and only incubate the ones that should be females. Then see if you get chicks that really are all females.

Or you could do all males--as long as you do only one gender, you don't have to keep each egg separate at hatching time, and you don't have to track individual chicks until they're old enough to show gender. (Sexlinks would also remove the chick-marking part of the experiment, because you could be sure of gender at day-old.)

Two incubators and two brooders would also work--all male eggs go in one incubator, all females in the other, each set of chicks moves to the appropriate brooder, you check accuracy when they're old enough to tell.

These are great ideas! I didn’t think of some of these ideas.

Yes, these would make it a lot easier! But I'm working with what I have in the incubator which are all breeds that I really wanted to add to my flock - both males and females. (If my incubator was empty I could easily do the "only hatch the female marked eggs" on eggs from my own flock). And if I buy another incubator and/or hatcher, my hubby would probably kill me! LOL! I have already bought 2 (one to replace my old one that I was having trouble with and one to use strictly as a hatcher as I have so many staggered hatches happening right now). I thought about sexlinks after I started the experiment....but my incubator was already full and there wasn't really any sexlink breeds that I wanted to add to my flock. And I have found selling my chicks to be a bit difficult for some reason (not sure why as the farm store can't keep chicks in stock - just need to find a better way of advertising I guess). Once I get through my list of breeds for me (June and July hatches before I am done), then maybe I can get some sexlinks or do the incubate only one or the other to double check the findings from this months hatches. :D Thanks for all the great ideas!!

So I used the nail to check some eggs that are supposed to be hatching but haven’t yet. One triggered no movement of my screw. The others had movement of the screw and slight movement in the egg confirmed that.

Others look like they have started the draw down one I have even started hearing tapping in.

So I used the nail to check some eggs that are supposed to be hatching but haven’t yet. One triggered no movement of my screw. The others had movement of the screw and slight movement in the egg confirmed that.

Others look like they have started the draw down one I have even started hearing tapping in.

Is the one that triggered no movement still alive?

Is the one that triggered no movement still alive?
Yes it was as of my candling tonight. I am watching those eggs closely because they are shipped with bad saddle cells.

the other one that said DIS showed no movement. I have left it in just in case it was wrong. But I am doubtful it is alive.

I should know the genders of my Black East Indies that hatched at the start of this for sure in a few days. I sent away for dna sexing on them so I will be able to be positive on genders there.

So I did the test on my duckling that just hatched. Two weeks ago while in shell it tested male, today out of shell it tested female. Duckling was set on a bed away from me while testing. I have one that looks like it will for sure hatch this time around. I will test it when it is out

What you are is doing is dowsing. Not everyone will get the same motion for male and female. When I use a pendulum, my yes answer is a circle and my no answer is a line. My sister is the opposite. You first need to hold the pendulum (nail) and ask which answer is for yes or no or male or female. It will be individual for each person. I have been able to use the pendulum to diagnose and treat sick animals and people with amazing results/healing. Dowsing isn’t a joke! Like someone else said, some will be able to do it, others will not. Most everyone will be able to do it with practice though. The pendulum is a crystal ball in many hands. Have fun! :)

What you are is doing is dowsing. Not everyone will get the same motion for male and female. When I use a pendulum, my yes answer is a circle and my no answer is a line. My sister is the opposite. You first need to hold the pendulum (nail) and ask which answer is for yes or no or male or female. It will be individual for each person. I have been able to use the pendulum to diagnose and treat sick animals and people with amazing results/healing. Dowsing isn’t a joke! Like someone else said, some will be able to do it, others will not. Most everyone will be able to do it with practice though. The pendulum is a crystal ball in many hands. Have fun! :)

That explanation totally answers why there are so many opposing explanations as to which (line or circle) is the "correct" way! I am really having a lot of fun with this experiment! So far the coolest thing I have figured out is that I have been able to clearly tell which eggs are clear or quitters and which chicks are DIS!

I have been a little slow updating the spreadsheet....but it is all up to date now. Everything is still testing like it did in the egg.

Back
Top Bottom