The Ring/Nail Test Experiment (Just for fun)

I just had 12 ducklings hatch over the last week or so. I did the nail trick on them. I also vent sexed a few. If I did it right the 6 I vent sexed matched up to the nail trick so far.

1- Aztec R Pink (F)
2- Aztec R Purple (f)
3- Aztec R Blue (m)
4- Aztec R Green (f)
5- Aztec R Orange (f) vent sexed Female
6- Aztec R Yellow (f) vent sexed Female
7- Aztec L Blue (m)
8- Aztec L Purple (f) vent sexed female
9- Aztec L Green (f) vent sexed female
10- Aztec L pink (m)
11- Aztec R Black (m) vent sexed male
12- Black East Indi R Orange (f) vent sexed female

i am not very good at vent sexing yet. So it’s not a certain check. I did send away for dna sexing so I should know for sure sexes in a few weeks, instead of six to eight weeks.

For fun I jumped in on this with a brad nail too. :) I have 3 ducklings, hatched Wednesday/Thursday that all vent sexed as male, and my nail circles. I have 2 sebright chicks I hatched yesterday and the nail goes in a straight line from head to tail. So crossing my fingers those are both pullets, as I already have a lovely little sebright cockerel! Time to go nail test my 6 week old duckling that I vent sexed as female. :p

And my older birds?

2x 1 year old ducks, I know they’re both female, lol, and they have a straight line with the nail. So does my vent sexed female duckling. The chicks, I have 3 known cockerels, they all circle, the painted silkie I wasn’t sure about also circles, and the EE that I have no clue on is a straight line. So hoping that’s right and I do have at least one pullet from that group... 🤦‍♀️

And my older birds?

2x 1 year old ducks, I know they’re both female, lol, and they have a straight line with the nail. So does my vent sexed female duckling. The chicks, I have 3 known cockerels, they all circle, the painted silkie I wasn’t sure about also circles, and the EE that I have no clue on is a straight line. So hoping that’s right and I do have at least one pullet from that group... 🤦‍♀️

So exciting to hear that all of your known sex poultry checked out correct with the test! Hopefully it is right on your EE! I totally know the feeling of wanting a pullet in a group! I hatched some eggs from my own flock and was hoping to sell pullets from the group, but even at 6 weeks old 8 of the 9 are not really giving me any hints to what they are. The nail test is predicting them 7 cockerels and 2 pullets. 🤦‍♀️ I might have chicken in the freezer I guess.

@kelseyk part of the fun of hatching I guess. Haha you learn to live with the disappointment. xD nothing wrong with stocking the freezer though. :) it’s just annoying that both of my silkies are cockerels... not great eating on those guys. Lol.
I have a bunch more eggs in the incubators so I’ll play around with them when it’s candling time again. This is a fun experiment. :p

@kelseyk part of the fun of hatching I guess. Haha you learn to live with the disappointment. xD nothing wrong with stocking the freezer though. :) it’s just annoying that both of my silkies are cockerels... not great eating on those guys. Lol.
I have a bunch more eggs in the incubators so I’ll play around with them when it’s candling time again. This is a fun experiment. :p

Totally agree on the eating silkies part! LOL! My daughter chose silkies and Svart Honas as the birds she wanted to show for 4-H. Nail test has her 5 April silkies as 3 cockerels (both of the light lavender ones and a white one) and 2 pullets (the dark lavender/blue one and a white one). And all 3 of her May Svart Honas as cockerels. I'm sure my son's 4-H d'uccles wouldn't make much of a meal either. Lol!

Totally agree on the eating silkies part! LOL! My daughter chose silkies and Svart Honas as the birds she wanted to show for 4-H. Nail test has her 5 April silkies as 3 cockerels (both of the light lavender ones and a white one) and 2 pullets (the dark lavender/blue one and a white one). And all 3 of her May Svart Honas as cockerels. I'm sure my son's 4-H d'uccles wouldn't make much of a meal either. Lol!
I guess you could make a decent sized pot of stew or soup with a bunch of them, anyways. Haha. And then of course my brain starts going “how would one even pluck a silkie properly? There’s just so much fluff...” :confused:

So here is the problem, how do I do this to a three-week-old chick. They are too old to cup and will not stand still long enough for me to get a reading. Going on the idea that I can't hold them without changing the reading.

Everyone ignore this, I'm just trying to get the forum to send me update notices again... :D

You know what is weird...you just said on the HAL that you weren't getting updates for this thread. I refreshed my watched threads page and this thread didn't show up as having an unread post. It wasn't until I checked my notices that I saw you had posted here. I have read a lot of people seem to be having trouble with notices lately. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom