The road less traveled...back to good health! They have lice, mites, scale mites, worms, anemia, gl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im late to the game but to answer Bees question- No

I always have enough stuff stored for 2 people or more. I have a generator, rain barrel and bottled water on standby. I heat with wood and have candles/oil lamps for when the generator runs out (But I keep extra gas also) I but from Bj's super store in BIG packages of people & animal food and always have 2 bags at home for them. I own a 2 chain saws, lots of hand tools, and bought enough food for my 4 hens to last at least 3 months since I use FF now. But its stored well & wont go bad before then.

I've been on my own for 22 years and a single mom. If I didnt prepare we would both be in trouble. I am a very independent & a planner by nature & being in the fire/ems service I always make sure there is enough stuff to survive at home for my Mom, son & critters since I can be gone for days & days on end trying to help others.

My mantra in life is: *It is what it is...you cant change it once it happens* & I try to not let people or circumstances interfere with my life or stress me out.

As my best friend loves to tell me *your one tough chick* I know I can accomplish anything I want even as a single woman & I like a challenge now & then
tongue2.gif

Yeah...we don't want to discuss too deeply the levels of faith and start a scripture battle here. It's nice when folks are thinking along the lines of depending on God's direction in their life, but this thread is getting too volatile right now. Which, I think, was the intended purpose of those who like disorder and any mention of God to be wiped away from this world.

What say we stick to talking about chicken health and put all this prepping~and fighting~to rest?

It's been a few days since these pics were posted but they've been on my mind. I love the solid colored chickens and - yes - they do stand out visually, especially in this wooded environment.

I'm wondering if that works against them with regard to predators? The barred chickens are much more difficult to see, does the barring act as a sort of camouflage? Wondering if there's any evidence that predators strike more on the solid colored birds rather than the barred.

People say that, but there is no evidence to that, that I know of. I've always had white birds in my flock...big hawk and eagle territory where I lived. No issues. Well, take that back...lost one roosting up in the barn loft to an owl. She was a barred rock.

Size of bird features into it, I imagine. A smaller or slower bird has more chances of getting snatched, IMO. Not only does the hawk have to make the kill but they need to make it without harm to themselves...no good to kill something if you can't either take it away from the kill sight and eat it at your leisure, or eat it on the site.

If you think about it, their natural prey is usually low color, patterned for camouflage. I'd think they would zero in on what looks like natural prey to them.

Last edited:
Hey, Bee - one of our blog readers and FaceBook fans wants to know:
"What's the best way to provide FF when leaving for the weekend, or planning to be away from home for a few days?"

I think this post may have gotten a little lost in the shuffle. What are your thoughts on this, Bee?

I'm almost afraid of mentioning this but we had a hawk strike just once and our hen turkey attacked it before it could reach any one of the chickens. Hubby and I were both outside and saw it. She's a Royal Palm. Hawk feathers went flying. We never found the hawk but have never had any problems after that. We do have a ton of crows. They pick and pick my garden seeds every year but they are smart enough to roost on the electric poles or they could be target practice.
We've never had turkeys before and we might not much longer. At our house we have to be careful where grand kids (and dil) are concerned. They are pretty much useless unless for meat. Please, I hope not to offend, only my opinion and circumstances, I'd love guinnea(?) hens tho

I really enjoy everyone's landscape and animal pics. It gives me a small sense of who people are. I truly live in a gully. Very beautiful in it's own right but I don't see the sun til nearly 11 am and it's gone by 6pm. Still daylight but can't see the sun.

Everyone pretty much gets out of a post what they want to see. What roosters do to hens has nothing to do with me being a Christian or not...the fact remains that hens that formerly challenge a rooster when they are young, soon mature sexually, get mated ~just as I described~ and will no longer challenge the rooster in any way.

This is not a statement that is a "statement" about feminism or any such claptrap...I could care less who calls themselves what out there or how it offends their sensibilities...the word "feminists" was used in the original post on the subject matter and was repeated by me for the same reference topic.

That statement had nothing to do with religion, politics or what women call themselves today...it was about rooster and hen behavior and was made in that context only and using the words in answer to the original post. If you are expecting me to be politically correct on here, that just won't happen. What is politically correct is not, IMO, always correct.

I'm not going to walk on eggshells around here to avoid bumping into anyone's personal chip on their shoulder. The information is freely given, you can take it or leave it. It's about chickens, not about your personal life or feelings.

I've noticed this a little in recent days...folks coming here with a sore head and wanting to make some disturbance on the thread where there really shouldn't be one. If this is going to be the trend of this thread, I will ask the mods to shut it down. I have no caring for fighting on here...this is a learning thread that has been pretty fun up until now, but when the fun ends, I'm gone.

Strike two.
X2 Bee! Gee, I leave for a couple of days and I see the group of ladies I had complimented so much acting like a bunch of broody hens.....Be happy guys! No one is stepping on anyone's toes, just stating different opinions......not directing it at any one person......Take a deep breath and smile!
hugs.gif

Bee....I have a question on the heated dog waterers....I have an extra one.....Could I use that to keep FF from freezing in the run in the winter?
XOX

I think this post may have gotten a little lost in the shuffle. What are your thoughts on this, Bee?

I would figure they would do what they do when not feeding FF...just put out enough to get them by while they are gone. If it's too cold, provide a light over the feeder~secured well~ to keep it warm enough not to freeze. I used to be able to keep my water from freezing, for just such a trip, by hanging just a regular light bulb over the water in the pan. Never had a problem with it.

Worse case scenario? It freezes and they go hungry for a day or two....won't kill them. This is why I free range and leave my pop door open all the time~have went away on trips for up to 4-5 days with the birds on free range and the dogs protecting them and not one mishap.

And this is what I must stress about being prepared for emergencies, even when they are not emergencies...everyone travels eventually. Put some methods in place that allow for that eventuality and you will need never ask these types of questions. Make your every day system that versatile and useable and you won't have to take many extra steps to allow for when you are away. You won't need anyone to pet sit or anything if you just prepare and start using these systems every day.

I'm almost afraid of mentioning this but we had a hawk strike just once and our hen turkey attacked it before it could reach any one of the chickens. Hubby and I were both outside and saw it. She's a Royal Palm. Hawk feathers went flying. We never found the hawk but have never had any problems after that. We do have a ton of crows. They pick and pick my garden seeds every year but they are smart enough to roost on the electric poles or they could be target practice.
We've never had turkeys before and we might not much longer. At our house we have to be careful where grand kids (and dil) are concerned. They are pretty much useless unless for meat. Please, I hope not to offend, only my opinion and circumstances, I'd love guinnea(?) hens tho
I really enjoy everyone's landscape and animal pics. It gives me a small sense of who people are. I truly live in a gully. Very beautiful in it's own right but I don't see the sun til nearly 11 am and it's gone by 6pm. Still daylight but can't see the sun.

THIS. This is what I'm talking about...up until the last few days we've not had to preface comments on this thread with such words as "I'm almost afraid to mention this" or "I hope not to offend". It was a good and working thread and now a few children want to spoil it for others. No one should have to be scared of offending someone just when talking about chickens, folks. It's chickens, for Pete's sake!

If anyone else has a case of the holiday crankies, best to abstain from reading or commenting on the thread until you get your head right. We are here to discuss and learn, maybe even have a few laughs and support one another~not to jump before you've been bitten.

Sally, I hope you continue to read and post here without any fear that a simple statement about chickens will offend someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom