The road less traveled...back to good health! They have lice, mites, scale mites, worms, anemia, gl

Status
Not open for further replies.
So everyone can water their stock in the event of an extended big freeze or extreme and prolonged drought?
Right now no. In January we easily have snow on the ground almost 24/7. Melt the snow in a pot on the wood stove.. Though my wood heating is a furnace :/

I have a cold room full of preserves and what not. My in laws live with us through the winter. MIL is a BIG canner. There's that. Lots of candles for light. Enough wood for the entire winter.
I'd need to get more chicken feed though.

Also, drought? Here? I can't ever imagine it. Freezing is my worry if power went out.
Re-posting this as I had a couple questions I'm hoping Bee can answer...it is about the "feather pad" on the back over the tail. Do you know what that's all about? Both of my BRs have it but I don't see it on the breed standard photos at all. I have actually felt that to see if it seems like a fat pad under there after seeing your last cull photos, and it doesn't seem to be the case - just seems like an area of heavier feathering of some sort.
Leah,

I've had a few barred rocks that had similar builds. Like Bee said, it's not so much a problem in heritage stock.

Love this thread Bee. So much good information and great questions! Has caused a few changes to my plans for the flock when they get here in February.
Thank you so much.

Just went out to the barn to check on the horses, one of them didn't eat up which NEVER happens here. Want to be sure colic or twisted gut isn't in my future. All is well, she is resting and eating her hay, no fever and her gut sounds are fine. Passed two piles of manure since I was last there, all is well. I've been fighting something for the past few days, and I shook and shook with shivers. It is getting COLD.

I have a rooster question Bee.

My flock is 20 weeks, 5 months I should say now. One of the 10 of them turned out to be a roo, which at first I thought was a bad thing, but now thanks to you Bee, I realize should be a very good thing. I am learning as I go, and constantly wander away from the chores of the day and find myself walking to be near my gang and observe and learn about chicken behavior and body movement. Funny how I know every single movement from my horses, and what they are feeling or reacting to, but with a new animal, I am at ground zero again.. I look forward to the day that my chicken knowledge is automatic, just like it is with my horses.

Back to the question I have. How can I be sure my Roo is a "good" roo? I don't necessarily mean good as in respective to humans, I mean as a good leader of his flock. I have this image of all the good roosters you all talk about here. One that looks out for the girls, dotes on them, brings food to them, is a strong protector and leader. I have two girls that seem to be rather independent. One of my BR's and one of my Red Sex links always are a bit away from everyone. I am sure if we ever have an attack, they will be the first to go. Does a good Roo stop this from happening? The BR that is on her own a lot also seems to challenge him and stare him down. They stand off and do the chest bumping thing. Is she my chicken feminist, not wanting to bow to a man? I have noticed no mating behavior yet so I don't know if he is a good breeding rooster or not. So far, my image of him is sort of a nerdy type who really doesn't seem to be having much control over his girls, or that they are necessarily crazy about him either. Maybe it is far too early to tell, and he is too young? Oh, BTW,,he is a Colombian Wyandotte just FYI.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Melabella
He's too young to judge his value right now.
smile.png

I have a couple of boys that were always gentle with the girls and did not rape just anything that moved. Jagger the barred rock and Carlton the Partridge Cochin.

And only had one rooster ever try to protect his girls by going after a potential predator. Gigi.. The houdan. He drop kicked a stray dog. Most just warn the girls of danger.

I have a ton of roosters. 3 barred Plymouth Rock boys, 1 Cochin rooster, 1 EE rooster, 1 Houdan rooster, 4 Silkie roosters, 3 Ameraucana roosters, 1 NN rooster, and lots of teens in those breeds. They are quite randy until they are a full year at least. I have 2 boys who will mate the ducks.

I find it easier to keep a flock with at least 2 roosters on duty. The stray hens will have a guard as well. There is always a rooster in close proximity of every hen here. Enough girls to go around.

Oh Pullet, I laughed out loud on this one, what a great belly giggle I had with my first morning cup of coffee.

Everyone should start the day with a smile, and I thank you for mine,, ha ha ha...

MB

That's pretty much how we announce it. I remember my friend Dylan calling me up and exclaiming that Jagger got Honey and she liked it! I'm at work laughing. Made my day.

People say that, but there is no evidence to that, that I know of. I've always had white birds in my flock...big hawk and eagle territory where I lived. No issues. Well, take that back...lost one roosting up in the barn loft to an owl. She was a barred rock.

Size of bird features into it, I imagine. A smaller or slower bird has more chances of getting snatched, IMO. Not only does the hawk have to make the kill but they need to make it without harm to themselves...no good to kill something if you can't either take it away from the kill sight and eat it at your leisure, or eat it on the site.

If you think about it, their natural prey is usually low color, patterned for camouflage. I'd think they would zero in on what looks like natural prey to them.
How did you know it was an owl?
I'm almost afraid of mentioning this but we had a hawk strike just once and our hen turkey attacked it before it could reach any one of the chickens. Hubby and I were both outside and saw it. She's a Royal Palm. Hawk feathers went flying. We never found the hawk but have never had any problems after that. We do have a ton of crows. They pick and pick my garden seeds every year but they are smart enough to roost on the electric poles or they could be target practice.
We've never had turkeys before and we might not much longer. At our house we have to be careful where grand kids (and dil) are concerned. They are pretty much useless unless for meat. Please, I hope not to offend, only my opinion and circumstances, I'd love guinnea(?) hens tho
I really enjoy everyone's landscape and animal pics. It gives me a small sense of who people are. I truly live in a gully. Very beautiful in it's own right but I don't see the sun til nearly 11 am and it's gone by 6pm. Still daylight but can't see the sun.
Sally, this made my day. I have 4 turkeys (2 royal palms, 2 wild). I hope they will help like your girl did. They were probably in my neighbour's yard when our last attack happened, but they have stuck close since I clipped 1 wing on each of the girls. Still seem to fly up to the bird feeder, but not on cars or the roof anymore.

I have a cold room full of preserves and what not. My in laws live with us through the winter. MIL is a BIG canner. There's that. Lots of candles for light. Enough wood for the entire winter.
I'm quite jealous! I've always wanted to learn to can. I've tried it a few times just from reading books... but I think there's a big difference in getting to SEE what someone does and how they do it. My grandmother from Wyoming used to can, but I never got to spend any time with her.

As for us, we're saving up for a generator. We have a gas fireplace and there is a pond at the bottom of the hill, but as yet, we don't have enough in place if we were to lose power for a week or more. I have about 8-10 gallons of drinking water stashed away, but I should have more. Chicken feed... depends on the week. sometimes we have enough and sometimes not so much.

I'm enjoying reading what everyone else does and has as it helps me to narrow down the important stuff.

Bee - I hope you'll give us another chicken breed writeup soon! I'm really enjoying all that I'm learning. I'm getting my list together for some breeds I want to add this spring. Certainly a BA or 3 and probably a WR or three. A bigger coop is in the plans and should be (hopefully) ready by spring.

We're looking at the possibility of getting some meaties now that middle kid is OK with the whole culling thing. What breed is the best for a meatie beginner? We'd probably get about 25. Got a big chest freezer ready and waiting!!

When I go on vacation, I do have pet sitters. I have friends who love coming over to feed and water the chickens. Their kids get a kick out of them and picking up eggs. I currently don't use FF yet, but when I do, I will feed dry while on vacation. My sitters bring over their leftover salads, veggies and fruit. I have indoor pets too that my Dad takes care of. Gives him something to do!
I let the girls out yesterday. I just love watching them interact. Everyone went inside this time!

I'm quite jealous! I've always wanted to learn to can. I've tried it a few times just from reading books... but I think there's a big difference in getting to SEE what someone does and how they do it. My grandmother from Wyoming used to can, but I never got to spend any time with her.

As for us, we're saving up for a generator. We have a gas fireplace and there is a pond at the bottom of the hill, but as yet, we don't have enough in place if we were to lose power for a week or more. I have about 8-10 gallons of drinking water stashed away, but I should have more. Chicken feed... depends on the week. sometimes we have enough and sometimes not so much.

I'm enjoying reading what everyone else does and has as it helps me to narrow down the important stuff.

Bee - I hope you'll give us another chicken breed writeup soon! I'm really enjoying all that I'm learning. I'm getting my list together for some breeds I want to add this spring. Certainly a BA or 3 and probably a WR or three. A bigger coop is in the plans and should be (hopefully) ready by spring.

We're looking at the possibility of getting some meaties now that middle kid is OK with the whole culling thing. What breed is the best for a meatie beginner? We'd probably get about 25. Got a big chest freezer ready and waiting!!
I'd say Cornish X for a beginner. We call them Meat Kings here.

I've never seen my MIL do it, but she also makes homemade grape juice and has them all in mason jars in the cold room. Doesn't taste like any grape juice you could imagine. It tastes like REAL grapes. Really awesome stuff. We are going to make some cheese soon. She got back from Florida last night and has the tablets or whatever you need to make it.

I'm a pro at hand washing clothes. I lived very poorly after I left home, and we didn't have any washer (let alone a dryer). I actually rather enjoy washing clothes that way. We have made home-made laundry detergent out of borax as well.

Bulldogma, I too wish I had learned to can. I can only freeze corn. My Mom passed away before I learned all of that stuff. My Mom canned tomatoes, pickles and veggies. She also made freezer jam. I sure do miss those days. I've learned to cook without her too. There are some things I need her for. She would love that I have chickens just like her Dad did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom