The road less traveled...back to good health! They have lice, mites, scale mites, worms, anemia, gl

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I go on vacation, I do have pet sitters. I have friends who love coming over to feed and water the chickens. Their kids get a kick out of them and picking up eggs. I currently don't use FF yet, but when I do, I will feed dry while on vacation. My sitters bring over their leftover salads, veggies and fruit. I have indoor pets too that my Dad takes care of. Gives him something to do!
I let the girls out yesterday. I just love watching them interact. Everyone went inside this time!
There is no way I can get out of a pet sitter. Not with the # of animals I have.

This is when family comes in handy.

Bulldogma, I too wish I had learned to can. I can only freeze corn. My Mom passed away before I learned all of that stuff. My Mom canned tomatoes, pickles and veggies. She also made freezer jam. I sure do miss those days. I've learned to cook without her too. There are some things I need her for. She would love that I have chickens just like her Dad did.
I'm sorry about your mom :(

I would like to learn how to dehydrate things. That would be awesome.

I think the next breed that had been asked about was the RIR and this is a great breed to discuss. That one will take a bit and I'll borrow pics from Fred, with his permission already given on the BRs and the red pics. You simply will not believe the difference in the old timey birds and the modern day version.

Everyone will tell you to get the Freedom Rangers but many reports on them over on the meat thread will tell you that they have a smaller carcass and the feed conversion isn't the greatest. You will also see many, many, many posts devoted to the fact that CX aren't chickens, they are Frankenchickens, they won't forage because~too lazy, too slow, not good foragers, too heavy, not motivated. Whenever someone says that to me I just show my meaty videos and they pretty much fade out of that argument.

Truly? The CX are the best foragers I've ever seen in chickens, bar none. They aren't as wary as a good free ranging bird because they are hungry, hungry hippos and when larger, don't move as quickly as other breeds to make it to shelter. I had Jake and the hand of God on my meaty flock this year and it went so very well...they foraged all over 3 acres of cleared land.

They are funny and sweet...had one jump up on the picnic table between the Bat and I~without even a by your leave~ and settle down for a nap while I petted her. This is a bird that had never been handled before...they are pretty moochy and sweet if folks take the time to get to know them. They also pack on meat quicker and better than any other breed out there. Here is a pic of my first batch running with the layer flock.

These birds were 8 wks in this pic. The one standing by Toby is the CX and there are a few in the background also...remember 2 mo. old bird standing next to a full grown rooster and both fed on layer ration and some cracked corn mixed into the meaty ration:

I think the next breed that had been asked about was the RIR and this is a great breed to discuss. That one will take a bit and I'll borrow pics from Fred, with his permission already given on the BRs and the red pics. You simply will not believe the difference in the old timey birds and the modern day version.

Everyone will tell you to get the Freedom Rangers but many reports on them over on the meat thread will tell you that they have a smaller carcass and the feed conversion isn't the greatest. You will also see many, many, many posts devoted to the fact that CX aren't chickens, they are Frankenchickens, they won't forage because~too lazy, too slow, not good foragers, too heavy, not motivated. Whenever someone says that to me I just show my meaty videos and they pretty much fade out of that argument.

Truly? The CX are the best foragers I've ever seen in chickens, bar none. They aren't as wary as a good free ranging bird because they are hungry, hungry hippos and when larger, don't move as quickly as other breeds to make it to shelter. I had Jake and the hand of God on my meaty flock this year and it went so very well...they foraged all over 3 acres of cleared land.

They are funny and sweet...had one jump up on the picnic table between the Bat and I~without even a by your leave~ and settle down for a nap while I petted her. This is a bird that had never been handled before...they are pretty moochy and sweet if folks take the time to get to know them. They also pack on meat quicker and better than any other breed out there. Here is a pic of my first batch running with the layer flock.

These birds were 8 wks in this pic. The one standing by Toby is the CX and there are a few in the background also...remember 2 mo. old bird standing next to a full grown rooster and both fed on layer ration and some cracked corn mixed into the meaty ration:
BDM,

Feel free to use any of my photos of Ruby.

They are in this gallery somewhere. She's heritage quality. I agree with Bee on the temperament. She's quite the doll. I call her pigeon sometimes as well. She seems to coo like one when she has to lay an egg.
lol.png

Also considering the CX for spring.

Last edited:
well, you know what they say, Bee, that a feminist is any woman who isn't a doormat.

I don't know. I read this a few hours ago, and have had it on my mind since. It really bothers me. Maybe zombies bother you, but this....if you wrote it as "Your good christian women? They will soon be shoved down on the ground, their heads in a sharp beak, and their backs getting a good stomping...."

See what I mean?

Always hard when posts start getting into religion, politics, etc....but that sideways remark really bothered me. Goddess knows, I should be able to let it roll off my back :)

Everyone pretty much gets out of a post what they want to see. What roosters do to hens has nothing to do with me being a Christian or not...the fact remains that hens that formerly challenge a rooster when they are young, soon mature sexually, get mated ~just as I described~ and will no longer challenge the rooster in any way.

This is not a statement that is a "statement" about feminism or any such claptrap...I could care less who calls themselves what out there or how it offends their sensibilities...the word "feminists" was used in the original post on the subject matter and was repeated by me for the same reference topic.

That statement had nothing to do with religion, politics or what women call themselves today...it was about rooster and hen behavior and was made in that context only and using the words in answer to the original post. If you are expecting me to be politically correct on here, that just won't happen. What is politically correct is not, IMO, always correct.

I'm not going to walk on eggshells around here to avoid bumping into anyone's personal chip on their shoulder. The information is freely given, you can take it or leave it. It's about chickens, not about your personal life or feelings.

I've noticed this a little in recent days...folks coming here with a sore head and wanting to make some disturbance on the thread where there really shouldn't be one. If this is going to be the trend of this thread, I will ask the mods to shut it down. I have no caring for fighting on here...this is a learning thread that has been pretty fun up until now, but when the fun ends, I'm gone.

Strike two.
Oh dear......****sighs****

you know, after I hit submit..I thought to myself, I hope I used the correct word to describe my girl who is not submitting to Mr Roo at this stage as she challenges him at every turn. I have a sister who is an editor at Random House, and always shoot her a text and ask.."Am I using this word in the correct way". I guess LaLa, if you had exception to the use of it, it should have been directed at me,, and not Bee. She was merely referring to my girl the way I had in my post. I echo Bee's sentiments, and really meant nothing by it. I had chickens on my mind, not a social profile of anyone or any group of people for that matter.

I come from Sicilian peasant stock, on both sides of my parentage. My Noni came to this country at the age of 18 promised away to a man 26 years her senior. She spoke no English, nor could she read or write. She arrived in NYC and quickly learned she had to simulate to survive. She could live off the land, and cook herself anything. She acclimated to her new world of concrete and buildings, and evolved without losing her earth self. She was a talented seamstress and could sew anything and make lace. She ended up working for a top fashion house in NYC. One would think she had to submit to her husband in all ways, but she was a strong independent thinker, who lived next to her man, not underneath him. She passed the same way of thinking onto my mother, and I find the same qualities in myself. I am so incredibly proud of the woman in the fabric that is my family cloak. When I left highschool I knew all I wanted was to work with horses. I ended up an assistant trainer at the top racetrack in the country with 35 men under my charge. I learned every single mexican slur as the last thing I wanted was to have these men smiling at me while they called me horrible names. Within 2 months I had their respect because I earned it. I consider myself not a feminist, nor a conservative, not traditional, or ultra contemporary. I am a modern passionate woman who loves her family of origin and her chosen family more than the air that flows through me. My gifts from God are my physical strengths and my love and intuitions with animals. I am grateful for them. I bow only to the people I love and respect when the situation needs, and stand up in the face of them when it doesn't. I am me.. no names or titles other than the one given to me by my loving parents who gave me life, and the gift of joy. I regret that my choice of words to describe my chicken weighed heavy on any ones mind... but heck.. it is just a chicken...When I read something that twists my nose a bit... I usually do what my Noni taught me to do....realize that in this context, an Internet post, the author of what ever twisted my nose, doesn't know me, in turn I don't know her, the post was about chickens, and nothing to do with who I may be.

Enough said on this I guess all ready...

Oh dear......****sighs****

you know, after I hit submit..I thought to myself, I hope I used the correct word to describe my girl who is not submitting to Mr Roo at this stage as she challenges him at every turn. I have a sister who is an editor at Random House, and always shoot her a text and ask.."Am I using this word in the correct way". I guess LaLa, if you had exception to the use of it, it should have been directed at me,, and not Bee. She was merely referring to my girl the way I had in my post. I echo Bee's sentiments, and really meant nothing by it. I had chickens on my mind, not a social profile of anyone or any group of people for that matter.

I come from Sicilian peasant stock, on both sides of my parentage. My Noni came to this country at the age of 18 promised away to a man 26 years her senior. She spoke no English, nor could she read or write. She arrived in NYC and quickly learned she had to simulate to survive. She could live off the land, and cook herself anything. She acclimated to her new world of concrete and buildings, and evolved without losing her earth self. She was a talented seamstress and could sew anything and make lace. She ended up working for a top fashion house in NYC. One would think she had to submit to her husband in all ways, but she was a strong independent thinker, who lived next to her man, not underneath him. She passed the same way of thinking onto my mother, and I find the same qualities in myself. I am so incredibly proud of the woman in the fabric that is my family cloak. When I left highschool I knew all I wanted was to work with horses. I ended up an assistant trainer at the top racetrack in the country with 35 men under my charge. I learned every single mexican slur as the last thing I wanted was to have these men smiling at me while they called me horrible names. Within 2 months I had their respect because I earned it. I consider myself not a feminist, nor a conservative, not traditional, or ultra contemporary. I am a modern passionate woman who loves her family of origin and her chosen family more than the air that flows through me. My gifts from God are my physical strengths and my love and intuitions with animals. I am grateful for them. I bow only to the people I love and respect when the situation needs, and stand up in the face of them when it doesn't. I am me.. no names or titles other than the one given to me by my loving parents who gave me life, and the gift of joy. I regret that my choice of words to describe my chicken weighed heavy on any ones mind... but heck.. it is just a chicken...When I read something that twists my nose a bit... I usually do what my Noni taught me to do....realize that in this context, an Internet post, the author of what ever twisted my nose, doesn't know me, in turn I don't know her, the post was about chickens, and nothing to do with who I may be.

Enough said on this I guess all ready...
The only thing I'll take from this topic is I love the term Noni for a grandmother. That's beautiful.

Will you also explain the difference between RIR and Heritage RIR. I've heard other descriptions as well. The pictures are a huge help! Thank you!

Will you also explain the difference between RIR and Heritage RIR. I've heard other descriptions as well. The pictures are a huge help! Thank you!
A picture is worth a thousand words!!

Hatchery RIR (AKA Production Red)

Ruby my RIR. Pale in the comb because she is not laying this time of year. Finishing up her molt, and taking winter off most likely.

Last edited:
You didn't do anything wrong, Melabella. It's just chickens. Anyone can make a big to do about anything we say on here if they want....but it has no real substance and it's just a distraction. Pay it no more mind.
hugs.gif

Same here...but most of these folks don't live in the country country. A good many live on city water, no wood heat, etc.

If each of you were going to be honest with yourself and could answer in one word, yes or no, what would you answer if I asked~do you have fears for you or your family about the future? No need to explain the answer, just give your gut reaction answer of "yes" or "no". Let's do a little experiment....

Easy answer is No, not concerned.
Extended answer is that I'm concerned about my youngest daughter's salvation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom