The Roo across the road

anya40

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 6, 2007
Greenfield, IL
I have all girls and no roo. The roo across the road has no girls. He finally noticed my girls yesterday and has been screaming at the top of his lungs at the fence ever since! My girls aren't outside yet this morning and he is already at the fence yelling for them. My question is, will he eventually cross the road to get at my girls? I guess that wouldn't be such a bad thing, but he is white and my girls are Barred Rocks. If the answer is yes he will come across the road, then what kind of chicken do you end up with when they are cross bred? Also, if I see him in my yard, should I just assume that he molested my girls and start checking if the eggs are fertile? I don't think he's just going to go away any time soon, so I don't quite know what to do.

if her can fly over the fence and you have seen him with your girls he is mating with them you will end up
with a crossed b rock

umm do you know who owns the lonely guy? maybe you can make a deal with him - let the roo come over to " visit " the ladies or better yet live with you and you can give who ever owns him some fresh eggs ??

yeap that would explain that old joke - now we all know why LOL

Julie

If you chose to hatch eggs out, they would be just a cross breed. If he is doing the roo thing with the girls, and you don't want chicks, just don't incubate eggs. His presence won't encourage or discourage hens from setting as that is just hormonal.

If he ever gets in your yard then it will be certain that at least some of the eggs will be fertile even if he was there for just a hour before being booted out or??

Wouldn't be surprised if he MOVES in either if he manages to figure out how to get in your yard.

Hard to tell what sort of babies you would get without knowing what kind the rooster is and also what kind of white he has.

If he's white with solid black tail(like on a Light Brahma) with no barring on the tail either.. chances are very good that the chicks will be sex linked- the girl chicks will be black and the boys will be black too except they have a white spot on back of head(that's sign of the Barred gene being present- it's the sex linked trait).

However if the rooster is solid white it will be impossible to guess as white birds can be just about anything(any color, any pattern) under that white. If he happens to have Dominant White, then the offspring will be mostly white with a few black flecks here and there.

Last edited:
So it's ok to eat fertilized eggs? I'd rather get new chicks out of it, but don't have a clue as to how to do that! As far as I know he hasn't made it across the road yet. All of his girlfriends were killed by hawks so he is all alone. The hawks and eagles here are just huge. They are so big they look like something pre-historic. Went outside just in the nick of time yesterday, a hawk was swooping on my girls as they hid under a bush. He went to the nearest tree and just watched us. I put them to bed waaaay early yesterday! I don't know who was more scared, me or them. Anyhow, thanks for the replies. I would like to let the girls raise their own chicks, but I don't know if I should do that, being that I sell my eggs. I don't know how to tell the difference between fertilized and unfertilized. I'm so uneducated about it that I would leave a plain old egg out there for "Mother" to sit on until doomsday and sell the fertilized ones! LOL.

I am no expert - but this is what I have learned from reading and hanging out here-

all the eggs from the outside look the same to me LOL I have a banty roo in with some big girls , I did not think he would be able to do the deed - proved me wong when I cracked open a few eggs I see that little bulls eye everyone is talking about. So some of my eggs are fertile others not - I sell them all - and eat them - taste no different.

I would love my girls to hatch their own eggs but right now - none are feeling in the mother mood right now - so I have an incubator to do it for me.

I would try feeding the roo across the street and see if you can find where he is sleeping at night - maybe you can get him while he is sleeping and bring him over to live with you - I am sure he would be great protection to your girls if something from above was coming.

poor guy all alone LOL

Julie

Back
Top Bottom