The rooster clucks when the hen lays. Is this normal???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Flock Leader, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Flock Leader

Flock Leader Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    One of our hens started laying not long ago, and has been providing an egg every day like a clockwork, we're so pleased. Whenever she's laying, one of the roosters (our "Leader Boy", the one whom she normally mates) stands outside the nest and clucks just like a laying hen. Just out of curiousity, is this normal? Anyone else here experienced the same thing?

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Totally normal! I actually have a few lead hens that do that to their fellow hens. Roosters are known to do that, sort of "cheering on" the hen in her laying. It's a sign of a sweet rooster, or so I'm told [​IMG]

3. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Awww, what a sentimental guy

4. Flock Leader

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    I've heard other hens do that, but it's the first time a roo steps in as "cheerleader!" Yes, he's very sweet, we had him from an egg and he's really good-natured.

5. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    My "Beg Red" passes in front of the hen house door, (goes inside from time to time) then crows for about 10m minutes when the egg arrives, if he could only pass out cigars.

6. Flat Rock farm

Flat Rock farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2012
    Branchton, ON Canada
    I have seen some of my roosters go into the nest boxes and start clucking to get the hen to lay there. Never had one clucking as the hen lays, that's neat.

7. Flock Leader

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    Fascinating. I'm learning so much about chickens every day. :eek:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by