The roosters role in the flock

Is your rooster part of the pecking order?

• Yes, he pecks other chickens including hens.

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • My rooster never pecks hens.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • My rooster helps keep the peace between his hens.

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • My rooster gets pecked by hens.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Both. Depends on the situation.

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
I just butchered my otherwise very good senior rooster for the same behaviour: he stuffed himself with food until he would almost fall over and still went to pick the hens away from the feeder.
During the past three years he was a very watchful, protective and caring rooster, so I took the time and watched his behaviour for almost two weeks until I had seen enough.
The moulting hens getting starved and even slightly injured while he was getting bigger and fatter by the day. He turned out to be extremely heavy with enormous fat pads.

I do not know what led to this change of behaviour, maybe an injury to the head that he sustained while protecting his hens from a hawk attack some weeks ago.
Oh dear, thatwould be awful!
No, mine is not that bad at all. He is pushy, but has not injured anyone. The nice thing is, I can move him and he doesn’t mind. I am working with chicken psychology now.

Oh dear, thatwould be awful!
No, mine is not that bad at all. He is pushy, but has not injured anyone. The nice thing is, I can move him and he doesn’t mind. I am working with chicken psychology now.
Yes, it was, as I liked him very much and not only was he an excellent specimen of his breed but also human friendly to the point I could just call him and he would come running to be picked up for feet inspection etc.

Back
Top Bottom