The rough collie saga continues, any advice would be appreciated

Personally I don't think dogs should be left alone tied up, especially pups, too many bad things can happen. But if you must tether a dog, don't put it near the chickens. A lot of people seem to think that will help the dog "get used to" the chickens, but often it will actually cause the dog to become even more determined to get them.
Back tying has long been used in K-9 training to build and increase drive through frustration.

My English Shepherd Pup Pup (her name) has been much worse that her sister about deflowering and even killing chickens. With Pup Pup I have had to invest an additional year getting her safe around birds. It takes a lot of interaction time between all parties and being consistent with redirecting attention and stopping bad behaviors. Neither was good at 14 weeks, but both dogs are good at 2 years. it takes time and effort that is often hard to impress upon those wanting good interactions between the dogs and chickens.

Thank you all so much. I will persevere with him. It is taking longer than I thought which is my own fault. You are right, he is still a baby. I just love the girls so much it makes me unbearably anxious to know they may be in harms way.
Their run is half the yard, they just have found a hole to get out, which has now been fixed. I will keep working on him and I’m hoping he will come around. My husband loves him dearly so I’d hope for the best outcome. We are on holidays as of this week so im intensive training will be taking place over the Christmas period and I won’t leave him alone fire even a second with the girls

I won’t leave him alone fire even a second with the girls

I would plan on that for at least the next year, and quite possibly for two years.

As puppies grow, they keep thinking of "new" things (like chasing chickens again :rolleyes:), so he could go back and forth between causing trouble and acting fine, and then causing trouble again sometime later.

A small panel kennel is a good investment while learning. Can be placed were you want it. And used when you can't supervise out side. When you are out side leash them to you or tie them out where your working. My childhood collie when they were bigger dogs was a vermant killer, wild rabbits, rats, critters that didn't belong on property was dead. Our cats he didnt bother, and he chase off property stray cats and strange dogs. He was a cujo and people were respectful of him protecting us kids and our property, bad ass collie very valuable dog for a life time, you have a great dog in your pup! Needs your direction right now. Show him how to help you around the birds.

I have nothing to add to the excellent advice given by others above. I just want to add that you are expecting WAY too much from a puppy. I do dog sports (agility), and we always joke that especially male puppies don't even get a brain until they are at least 2 (sometimes 4 with certain breeds).

Set your puppy up for success rather than failure. DO NOT leave the puppy alone with the chickens, period, until the pup is mature. What you are doing now is like expecting a 10 year old human to be responsible enough to drive!

Have you ever heard of "dog years"? Generally means a dog ages 7 years to our 1. Its not 100% accurate but it is an easy way to think of it.
In other words, no one will leave a 7 yr old alone or expect them to be in overly responsible. At 14yrs some teens are babysitting and some still can't be trusted home alone for an evening. Its the same with most dogs. 2yrs old is the equivalent of their teens from 14-21.

A small panel kennel is a good investment while learning. Can be placed were you want it. And used when you can't supervise out side. When you are out side leash them to you or tie them out where your working. My childhood collie when they were bigger dogs was a vermant killer, wild rabbits, rats, critters that didn't belong on property was dead. Our cats he didnt bother, and he chase off property stray cats and strange dogs. He was a cujo and people were respectful of him protecting us kids and our property, bad ass collie very valuable dog for a life time, you have a great dog in your pup! Needs your direction right now. Show him how to help you around the birds.
Thank you

Set your pup with a kennel outside he can see them cannot get at them They can be bought usually in sections.. We used german shepards the same way.

He is a pup and ongoing positive training is needed. He will eventually catch on but it will take quite awhile. Rewards and praise for good behavior and none for bad behavior. Most are trainable and want to please. I had a Walker Hound and she was very good around the birds. I never had to worry about her. In the beginning she was a constant barker and she stopped that too. I wouldn't leave the puppy's food out where the birds can get it. He needs his personal space too. Good luck...
What you’ve said here is really helpful! I’m trying to work with my beautiful Golden Retriever Collie and the hens. She always wants to chase them and it’s fun and play for her but worries the hens. She’s never hurt them apart from one today 😢She didn’t kill it but it went into the bushes and hasn’t come back out. I would love any training tips you might have as to how to work with her with the hens, thanks Ellie

Back
Top Bottom