The run is loaded with flies

I use those ugly sticky fly strips. Work like a charm.
I was reading thru this and wondered why no one mentioned the sticky fly strips, and here you are. I have used these for years, hang them from the rafters, when they are almost full just dispose them in a plastric bag. Works great and cheap, you can order them from Amazon if you cannot find them. I also use a drop board and clean it every day, really helps with the fly problem.

My girls run is suddenly loaded with flies. How do I safely rid the run of them? Obviously can't use poison. What's effective but safe? And how do I prevent this from being a routine issue?
I had this issue and cleaned the entire interior of the coop with PineSol and the flies left, the chickens weren't crazy about it either but they layed eggs and slept in there so it couldn't have been too bad. Now I spray the inside walls of my coop with a mixture of water and peppermint oil after I clean the coop each week - the chickens don't mind it but the flies stay out. I clean the chicken coop out weekly since mine is only 4ft x 8ft and I have 8 chickens in there, so it gets messy quickly.

I hang fly traps and sprinkle diatomaceous earth around where the chickens hang out a few times a week to help dry up the ground also just started using 1st Saturday Lime a few weeks ago It’s helped a lot and seems to dry back out after all the storms we have in central Fl.

We have our coop on part of our lawn. Once our hens ate all the grads, I put down diatomaceous earth. This helped a lot with fly control. I also have a few Caprivator fly traps around the yard and thise have helped tremendously. We still get a couple flies in the coop, but the hens like to try to catch them.

Come monsoon season in the NM desert, the fly populations tend to explode, but decreasing a suddenly-burgeoning fly population is controlled by using a multi-step method: 1.Thick layer of Sweet PDZ (“Stall Dry”) under roosting area, chickens will track a small amount to floor, into pine shavings.
2. Application of a fly bait prior/during ”explosion period”. PT Alpine sprayed on wall surfaces couple feet up from floor (and on vertical shady surfaces/crannies where flies might rest or hang out). Apply no more than every couple of weeks.
3. Fly sticky tape mounted horizontally in areas where flies may land/“roost”. They are drawn to their dead brethren stuck on the tape. Revenge makes good tape.
I wont use any form of the drowning traps, waaaay to stinky for us!!

Get diatomaceous earth and spread it around the run. We have one of those little hand pumps you put the DE in and I fog the freah piles, if any of the dust lands on the fly it will dry them out and they die. It’s also good for mites so it does double duty. We regularly dust the girls and put it where they like to do dirt baths. You’ll notice a drop in flies right away and as long as you do it once in a while, it will keep them down

Here's my fly stick in the run story. Our enclosed run is pretty high and at the peak my husband had put a big yellow fly stick. I came home from work and noticed I had one hen missing. Then my husband came home and as we searched I saw movement above my head walking by the run (I didn't know the fly stick was there). To my horror I saw my Mottled Java stuck to the stick. My husband helped me spend the next 2 hours sawing as much sticky stick we could and carefully snipping feather to get her off it. What a nightmare. Thank goodness it wasn't super hot and she didn't flap and panic as we worked. I was beyond mad at hubby. He called her flystick after that, and he did feel horrible about it all. He isn't allowed to do any chicken chores anymore for their safety :rolleyes:

I use PDZ also in the coop and in the run. DE can ause respiratory problems.

My girls run is suddenly loaded with flies. How do I safely rid the run of them? Obviously can't use poison. What's effective but safe? And how do I prevent this from being a routine issue?
My tiny little coop is being overrun too. I have hung a myriad of glue strips and Irish Spring. I'm heading out to buy a bug zapper.

I use pine flake bedding and sprinkle diatomaceous earth across the poop (scooping out the obvious big poops). The yellow vanillorama scented air freshener trees also repel flies. Mainly just keep it as dry as you can.

Back
Top Bottom