The Run thread

I see a lot of pictures, but I was curious how much space people were allocating to each bird in their outdoor runs.

I really want to do the electrified netting, but the cost is deterring me from investing in that route.

Thanks!
Dave.

I see a lot of pictures, but I was curious how much space people were allocating to each bird in their outdoor runs.

I really want to do the electrified netting, but the cost is deterring me from investing in that route.

Thanks!
Dave.

I bought my poultry net over three years. Started out with the charger and 300' of netting. Over the years, I've bought another 350'. Don't have to get it all at one time. Add to it, as time and $$ allow. Like the old saying goes, How do you eat an elephant, ONE bite at a time. You can still enclose a much larger area for far less with netting, than if you build a wood framed, hardware cloth enclose cage/run.

My run is finished and I forgot to share. Sorry! 14"x16' with a leg behind coop 4' x8'. Totally enclosed and we keep electric net around gate side to let them range and now the grass.

Last edited:
Thank you, we but try. I have posts left over that hubby tried giving away. Um, no need for next years expansion!! lololol!

We're looking into doing a run now that our coop is almost finished, and I have to say that this thread is so awesome! Lots of great ideas here.

Our run is mostly finished now. It's approximately 20' x 60'. Right now I have 17 chicks, but at least 6 are roosters, so we'll be down closer to 12 bantams, if not lower, by the time they get some size on them. It won't be quite the same as free ranging them, but with approximately 100 sq ft each and being bantams, we think this may let the grass continue to grow.

This was one of the goat pens and we just partitioned the end of it off. Pen has been used for a few different things, so originally the squares were pretty large in the fence, but then a 4x4 fence was added. When we decided to put in the chickens, we added chicken wire to the bottom and netting to the top. I had my husband suspend a cable across the middle to support the netting so we could still walk around in the run. The fenceline that opens up to the drive way also has a hot wire on it. Predator control mainly done by dogs that are loose outside. Most any critter that gets near the property ends up dead. (Hence why we added netting to the top so that a bird doesn't fly out and become a casualty.) We've worked with the dogs and they are no longer as interested in the birds as they were at first, but we aren't foolish enough to believe that they wouldn't be triggered by movement.

We stuck an unused feeder in there for some low shade. We have a shade tarp stretched between it and the fence. We have a pallet with some legs on it for some extra shade.

We recently added a piece of plywood in front of the coop to add some extra shade near the ramp and also shade the coop a bit.

Back
Top Bottom