The Run thread

redneck farmer

Songster
6 Years
Feb 1, 2013
in the swamp killin hawgs
Look there is coop threads, mobile coop threads, small coop big coops garden coops,.. So lets dedicate this thread to the runs!!!! There has to be some cool lookin runs out there or run I ideas so share them!
This is looking into my run when my chickens were little!-

Ok, I'll play! I haven't done any of the fun landscaping (plants, hanging baskets, tree, couple small bushes etc), but here's our run. I'm in a suburb where chickens are not allowed, (yes, I have great neighbors!) so we've stayed a little on the small side. We have only 3 birds. The ground cover is 1/2 sand and 1/2 large bark. I found myself unable to commit. I love sand, but it seemed kind of boring. The wood chips look great and will get nice an buggy I'm sure, but if they retain too much moisture, I'll scoop 'em out and put them elsewhere. The frames have been planted with grass seed, they can climb around and pluck the grass with out scratching up the roots. The Little Tikes house is not their coop, just a play house (dry sand for bathing, grit, calcium etc). The area to the right of the little house is for grass clipping weeds, etc--right now it's filled with pine straw, which proved to be wonderful ground cover through the winter.

How do you do the electricfied netting?????????
idunno.gif
I got from a company called Premier. They have all kinds of containment systems for different animals and birds. The electrified poultry netting has thin wires woven all through the fencing. You can either energize it with a solar charger, or household electric. I ran 115V down to the coop for the fence, and a water fount warmer in the winter. Installation can't be any easier, you just step the fence's ground spikes into the ground and move to the next post. I put this in for less than half what I saw somebody on this forum, was going to pay for a wood framed, wire covered box/run, for a fraction of the size of the run I now have. This has been the answer for me for the fox problem I have here. Along with the occasional stray dog.
Jack

C2Chicks, how long had you had chickens in your run when this picture was taken? I ask because I can't imagine how you do or will keep the wood chips in their place and the sand in its. I tried having separate areas like this in my run and my birds first covered the nice little planted areas with sand and chips and then proceeded to cover the rest of the sand with chips. So now it looks exactly like it would have if I'd just covered the whole area with chips. Once or twice a year I put the chips back in their place. It usually lasts for a day or two. The chickens just don't seem to have the same decorating sensibilities that I do. Which might explain why they just poop wherever they like. :)

But, it is a very pretty run.

My run is not fancy, but keeps the girls safe from the visitors. I add more sand each spring to the floor. The run is 8x8 feet and the roof is covered to keep the hawks away. We let the hens out for supervised yard time when the weather is nice.

In the winter, we cover the run with plastic to keep them dry and out of the wind.

Back
Top Bottom