The runs

DBNB

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2018
I've 27 chickens and 3 roosters. Someone has the runs, brown in color. They get water clean outs at least 2 times a week (2 stock troughs of about 10 gal each, a 2 gal hanging container and a large pan in the coop) and plenty of scratch as well as layer feed all they want (hanging feeders). There is a coop (12'x14' with an attached pen 10'x10') that gives them some space, but tight. Attached is a 40'x18' net covered yard they go into daily. Most times they are in the yard within an hour after daybreak and in the coop/pen by dusk. Free range at least once a week most of the day although sometimes they only get a couple hours on extra outings. Predator issues don't allow for full time free ranging.
I clean out the coop regularly and add fresh hay each time. Immediately adjacent to the coop is a compost pile where all coop clean outs go to. The yard doesn't get cleaned as often and is where the scratch goes as well although most of the poo seems to be in the coop.
What I'm looking to do is one figure out how I can see who has the runs, singling the one out isn't easy that I can see. And I'd like to see what may be the cause. I feel pretty sure sanitary isn't an issue, but then again it is why I'm here.

What I have found as a pet owner in general the poop tells the story but sometimes it's not a bad story.

Animals sometimes get the runs due to something they ate. Of course sometimes it also means illness.

The chickens here have gotten the runs a couple times, I freak out, them it's gone. I think that in my case if they get to much protein it affects them. At least that is what I observed.

Are you seeing a lot of it? How long have you been seeing it?

A lot, not really. Consistency (no pun intended!) is irregular (well maybe a little...) and maybe a couple days then its gone for a few days or longer.

Back
Top Bottom