The Safest / Best chicken dewormers for egg layers

PABEAR

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2019
Again , I am new to this . Can anyone give me advice on the use of VERM-X and VALBAZEN . Has anyone used VALBAZEN ? Is it safe & effective for my ladies ? Does it prevent me from eating the eggs while using the product ? Any other suggestions for deworming treatments of my golden girls ?

Make sure that you actually need to worm them, and what parasites they might have. Having fecals run at the veterinarian's, or having your own microscope and learning how to do it yourself, are the only way to actually know.
For coccidia, it's Corid here in the USA. For most everything else, it's fenbendazole, which has no egg withdrawal period here. The dose and duration of treatment depends on what's actually in the fecals.
Many flocks never have an issue with intestinal parasites, while others need treatments every year, or more. With a new flock, time will tell.
Everything else is off label, and best avoided if at all possible.
Mary

Make sure that you actually need to worm them, and what parasites they might have. Having fecals run at the veterinarian's, or having your own microscope and learning how to do it yourself, are the only way to actually know.
For coccidia, it's Corid here in the USA. For most everything else, it's fenbendazole, which has no egg withdrawal period here. The dose and duration of treatment depends on what's actually in the fecals.
Many flocks never have an issue with intestinal parasites, while others need treatments every year, or more. With a new flock, time will tell.
Mary
Mary
Hello Mary ,
Thank you so much for responding to my thread. I hope you dont mind me contacting you and asking you some more questions about Corid . So , corid is safe for chickens and i can still use the eggs when i administer corid in their water ??? i am very new to raising chickens ( buff orpington ) . The past month has been awful . the hens have lost their feathers . their egg production has decreased . they stopped eating their food from the feed mill which they always loved to eat . i have tried 3 different brands of crumbles layer food . they barely eat the people food snacks i make up for them . they only thing that they really want to eat is mealworms . i have tried to so many things and nothing seems to work . i had a vet check them out and the vet is at a loss which is no help . i dont see any worms in their poop droppings but i noticed their poop dropping are like pudding , next to diarrhea . so if you highly recommend CORID , how do i properly administer to my rooster and 5 hens ?? i am very concerned for them . thank you for your help .

Mary
The person I got my girls from said that she de-worms 3 to 4 times a year. Is that unnecessary?

Flubendazole has zero egg eating withdrawal time.
It is licensed in Europe but not in the USA.
I've seen different advice for Fenbendazole products regarding egg withdrawal times.
Both are considered safe for chickens at the correct dose.

Back
Top Bottom