The saga continues... (Sour crop etc)

Sarahh_Janeyy

Songster
Dec 12, 2019
North Florida
Our problem chicken Chipmunk, a speckled sussex, who survived wry neck and feathering issues due to insufficient vitamins and good gut bacteria as a 3 month old, is a year and a half old now and is having issues with sour crop. Here's her backstory:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/feathering-in-speckled-sussex.1368639/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ex-need-advice-on-care-not-treatment.1379931/

On Friday afternoon we noticed she was starting to fall asleep standing up and was off on her own, and I noticed her crop looked enlarged. When I went to go see what might be the matter with her, she regurgitated some liquid that did not smell good.. Of course, this happened on a Friday afternoon, after 5pm, which means she had to see the emergency exotic vet. $$$
They removed 150ml of foul smelling liquid and held it for cytology. They ultrasounded her and did some blood work- everything looked good, no lead toxicity. But that's all they could do after hours, as the clinical pathologist wasn't there. We brought her home and withheld food for the night. The next day, her crop was full again (she was guzzling water and I imagine the yeast was doing its thing..) We brought her back and they removed another 120ml of liquid, did a saline crop wash, and cytology confirmed yeast infection so they started her on Nystatin. The Dr. explained to us that the sour crop was a secondary condition and that it would come back if they didn't find what the primary issue was.. We gave her her medicine Saturday night with some scrambled egg (she was ravenous). Sunday morning, her crop was still distended. We brought her back. They removed more liquid and gave her more medication. They told us to bring her back Monday morning for x-rays to see if there was any impaction/what was going on. At this point they said that her white cell count was normal, but they were going to have a clinical pathologist look at them more closely to see if there were any changes to the morphology of the white blood cells.

We brought her back this morning, she had her x-rays, and the Dr. just called us. She said there wasn't anything really abnormal besides some gas in her GI tract and other than that there was about the normal amount of grit and food materials there. They looked at the white cells and said their morphology did look different so they felt it indicated some sort of bacterial infection. They wanted to keep her over night, hospitalized, and give her the medications and fluids there, as well as give her formula and see if they could get some nutrition in her and get her GI tract moving again.

All of this is $$$$. Like holy crap, this chicken is only a year and a half old and she's cost us a couple thousand already. And looking around this forum, I know that's a bit unusual, but we are really attached to her. I've been having a lot of trouble because I search for all these issues she has, and what I read online honestly really conflicts with what the poultry vets tell me. And I wonder, how qualified are the people who are making these videos and blog posts about how to treat your backyard chickens? Up until now, I just thought sour crop happened sometimes and you do x, y, z to deal with it. But the vet is telling me it happens because the yeast is opportunistic, and there is probably something else going on. In Chip's case, she has crop stasis for some unknown reason.

Every time I think I know something, I bring this chicken to the vet and the vet gives me a whole lesson on how wrong stuff on the internet is :/ And I hate to say it, but if I had listened to the stuff I read here and elsewhere, she'd be dead 3 or 4 times over by now. I hope if someone comes searching for crop issues and finds this post- if you can afford the vet, do it. I'm not sure if she'll pull through or not but if we hadn't brought her, I'm pretty sure she'd be dead already.

Still at a loss.. They've had her hospitalized overnight and she's staying a second night. They wanted to do more expensive tests but with no end in sight as to what's wrong, it seems like throwing money down a pit.

Anyone know where I can find information on nerve damage causing crop stasis? They've liquid fed her formula and given her anti fungals, anti biotics, and an injection to help with muscle contractions. I would be worried about them doing more harm than good, but we've had to keep bringing her back to get her crop drained every day anyway. Looking for alternative things that could be wrong- especially since she's already a not-normal chicken.

It's been almost 3 weeks of tube feeding Chipmunk Emeriaid critical omnivore care, antibiotic, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and a mobilizer, and it seems like we have had some progress. She was loosing weight but finally things are getting through her. Her vet said to try giving her live prey items (wax worms). We did, and unfortunately.. they are passing right through her undigested. Not sure what to think anymore.. At least she's not so stopped up that an entire wax worm can pass through her. I did find a very long curly piece of hair in her poop, but it was a far cry from a hair plug that would stop something up.

We had a fluoroscopy scheduled to see what's going on with her GI tract, but the evening before she was supposed to have it, the hospital called and told us it broke!

Her issues prompted me to check all of the chickens, and I've brought another one inside for a different crop issue. Penny's crop feels different from Chipmunk's, it's more watery? It doesn't feel like it's fully emptying. But there is no sour smell. This evening, she regurgitated while I was giving her bene-bac probiotic gel. I feel like she's lost weight, and she's molting, so I think something is definitely wrong. She ate a bit of scrambled egg today and some water, but not much else, so there is definitely some delayed emptying going on. I keep thinking pendulous crop, but it doesn't really seem like what the pictures look like when I search it.

I've been trying to figure out what's wrong, and I am worried about aspergillosis or aflatoxin- does anyone have experience with these? I have been feeding them Kalmbach layer feed from Chewy, as previously I was feeding them Purina from Tractor Supply and when Chipmunk had her issue with wry neck, I was afraid the feed was old and had lost nutrition.

I read that aflatoxin could come from moldy corn, so now I'm looking for good corn-free foods. I'm thinking maybe being in humid Florida could cause an issue like this. I don't know, this may not even be the issue, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, right?

Really concerned that there is something I could be doing differently. I try to do my research, and it feels like I don't find out about some other new chicken thing until we have a problem. :( There's just so much that can cause all these issues. We've been to the vet over and over again and still- they called Chip a "medical mystery". /sigh

“Every time I think I know something, I bring this chicken to the vet and the vet gives me a whole lesson on how wrong stuff on the internet is :/ And I hate to say it, but if I had listened to the stuff I read here and elsewhere, she'd be dead 3 or 4 times over by now. I hope if someone comes searching for crop issues and finds this post- if you can afford the vet, do it.”

I

Well, we have a new possibility. So we currently have 2 chickens inside with GI issues. One is resolving (the original post), but she still has some diarrhea, the other one is slow emptying and she has zero desire to eat so we've started liquid tube feeding her.

However, yesterday, as we were bringing that second one to the vet, our flock boss started acting weird. I noticed she was shaking her head and had her wings kind of low. She went to go lay and I thought maybe that's all it was, but then the egg she laid was a softshell! So we brought her with us to the vet. He suspected mycoplasma! She's done the head shaking thing on and off in the last year and a half, and I have seen maybe 3 other soft shell eggs in the past but never caught who was doing it. So we sent a sample to be tested. The vet said that mycoplasma *could* explain the GI issues on the other two girls, even though they aren't having respiratory symptoms. It would also explain why the emergency vets that have been taking care of the two GI cases never tested/suspected mycoplasma.

Anyway, it'll be a week or so before we find out. Meantime, we have 3 chickens in the house and the one with the respiratory symptoms is VERY depressed being alone in a crate inside away from her flock. She's never had any other health issues to bring her inside so she's definitely not okay with this arrangement :( Worried we are stressing her out, but don't want the other birds to get sick, even though they've probably already been exposed.

Yep. What the heck else can I do. :confused: On the off chance someone says something that helps, or this helps someone else.. It's Saturday night so I can't bring her to the vet right now.
Every time I think I know something, I bring this chicken to the vet and the vet gives me a whole lesson on how wrong stuff on the internet is :/ And I hate to say it, but if I had listened to the stuff I read here and elsewhere, she'd be dead 3 or 4 times over by now. I hope if someone comes searching for crop issues and finds this post- if you can afford the vet, do it. I'm not sure if she'll pull through or not but if we hadn't brought her, I'm pretty sure she'd be dead already.
Sounds like you need to consult your vet to see what else you may be able to do.

I wish you well! :)

So, this saga is still continuing. Our next suspect was crypto and we had a test of Penny (GI issues) and Ginger's (respiratory issues) feces- Penny came back positive so it's likely this has been what's been causing our GI issues with both Penny and Chipmunk. We had been using a rain barrel to supply water in the run. We live in a semi-rural area and we have LOTS of wild birds, so I suppose it could have came from anywhere, but because it's likely to be found in contaminated water, we disconnected the rain barrel waterer.

We've been treating the diarrhea with 1:1 unflavored pedialyte and water, and crop stasis with apple cider vinegar. Respiratory sickness was treated with Tylosin. The two with crop stasis were given metacloprimide for motility, as well as Benebac probiotics, B-12, and Nutridrench vitamins. Chipmunk was originally given sulfadrugs as her white blood cell count was elevated when we brought her in- this is possibly what had her getting better. Penny is being prescribed sufladrugs for her crypto infection.

I see almost nothing on this forum about cryptosporidiosis when I search it- is this because many people don't see this issue or because many people don't know what's causing a mystery illness?

Back
Top Bottom