The saga of introducing my adopted roo continues....

I have him in a crate in the run at night to sleep. Eventually (I'm assuming) i can sleep in the hen house right?

Quote from your first post:
He doesn't seem to bother the hens, they have kinda worked out their differences? Because the first couple of times they spent together the girls kinda made their presence known, but he'll still peck at them.

If you have time to watch, I would let him out near roosting time tonight, and see what happens--he may go in and sleep and be fine.

If it does not work well, you can stick him back in the crate and think about the situation some more. But it sounds like he and they might be fine.

Quote from your first post:

If you have time to watch, I would let him out near roosting time tonight, and see what happens--he may go in and sleep and be fine.

If it does not work well, you can stick him back in the crate and think about the situation some more. But it sounds like he and they might be fine.

They seem to be fine throughout the day. I've been letting him out in the afternoon to get some free range time. I go out there about dusk to make sure everyone goes up and do a count. The hens go in their house, the ducks tend to go in a little later, but go into their pen. The last day or so It's almost as if he waits for everyone to go up and he goes right into his crate and I can close him in.

I know it took a little while for the older hens to allow the newer flock room on the roosting bars... up until about a month ago or so. So I wasn't sure if since it was working out the way it is to leave it alone or add him to the house. Or maybe just leave the crate out there and leave it open for him to come and go. (The hen house opens up to the secure run where Mr. Bleu's crate is)

Or maybe just leave the crate out there and leave it open for him to come and go. (The hen house opens up to the secure run where Mr. Bleu's crate is)

That sounds like a good solution. I expect he'll move in with the hens at some point, but letting him choose is probably least stressful for everyone (you, him, them.) And when you do find him roosting with the hens for a few nights, then you can remove the crate.

That sounds like a good solution. I expect he'll move in with the hens at some point, but letting him choose is probably least stressful for everyone (you, him, them.) And when you do find him roosting with the hens for a few nights, then you can remove the crate.

Yes... this darn bird keeps me up at night! And wakes me in the morn🤣

The hens go in their house, the ducks tend to go in a little later, but go into their pen. The last day or so It's almost as if he waits for everyone to go up and he goes right into his crate and I can close him in.
That sounds good, I bet one day he will roost with the other chickens.

I'm still not sure what to do with his chasing the ducks around though...
Is he pinning them down and beating on them?
Are all the ducks females?

That sounds good, I bet one day he will roost with the other chickens.

Is he pinning them down and beating on them?
Are all the ducks females?

Yes... to both. They're all female, only one is laying. I didn't know if he was trying to mate with them... or if it was a dominance thing... or a protective thing? , but its generally the smaller breed he goes after.. but he's gone after the pekins too.

As I type... I let him out and he meandered a little and went right for the ducks...

Attachments

• 20200922_150608.jpg
    20200922_150608.jpg
    727.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200922_150611.jpg
    20200922_150611.jpg
    761 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom