The saga of introducing my adopted roo continues....

I thought cockerels would try to mate anything.....drakes too.
No. When brooded separately birds learn what species they are, and which they aren't. Now this rooster thinks ducks are the same as he is, and he will treat them as such. I always recommend brooding species separately to avoid these problems.

I raised a few chicks with poults last year. I separated them by 3 weeks. Later on one of the cockerel moved in to the turkey pen. I figured what could it hurt. That cockerel scalped a full grown turkey hen trying to dominate her. He went away. I knew better, but we seem to always be hopeful everything will work out.

He went away. I knew better,

(How my husband feels at this moment )

I knew better, but we seem to always be hopeful everything will work out.

(How i feel)

He spent last night having his crate open. Everyone seems to be their bright feathery heinous.

Mr Bleu let all the ladies through, pecked at the ground outside for a bit and went straight after the ducks. I'm wondering if this will go away or will be a continuing problem.

(How my husband feels at this moment )

(How i feel)

He spent last night having his crate open. Everyone seems to be their bright feathery heinous.

Mr Bleu let all the ladies through, pecked at the ground outside for a bit and went straight after the ducks. I'm wondering if this will go away or will be a continuing problem.
Unfortunately I don't see him stopping the behaviors. He's pretty vigorous about it as well. I worry he will eventually hurt your ducks, or at least cause leg problems. I personally wouldn't keep him. I would try a different rooster. There's tons of nice one. I've tried to keep multiple Wyandotte roosters, and they always have be a PITA and didn't last long here.

Unfortunately I don't see him stopping the behaviors. He's pretty vigorous about it as well. I worry he will eventually hurt your ducks, or at least cause leg problems. I personally wouldn't keep him. I would try a different rooster. There's tons of nice one. I've tried to keep multiple Wyandotte roosters, and they always have be a PITA and didn't last long here.

That's what I'm most concerned with. I know he was brooded with ducks and thought that would be better... apparently not😒 and I don't want my girls hurt. I'm concerned for their welfare and have way too much invested in them already.

I loved the idea of him joining us and he's a cool bird just not for our flock. I love my girls and they were all here first. So it's looking like he's not able to stay here. I tried my best 🤷‍♀️

Order has been restored to our flock. We gave Mr. Bleu back to his original owners. Hopefully it will end up working out. If not, I think he will be dinner ... thank you everyone for your info and help!

Attachments

• 20200929_134435.jpg
    20200929_134435.jpg
    991.2 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom