The Saga of the Chicken Mansion UPDATE 6/14: Runs added.

Lots of work completed yesterday despite having to dodge raindrops.
wee.gif

Front
2009-05-24001.jpg

Side
2009-05-24002.jpg

Door
2009-05-24004.jpg

Nest boxes
2009-05-24003.jpg

Back
2009-05-24005.jpg

We still need to attach one more piece of plywood, build an inside door, add the wire, and protect the floor.
smile.png

The chicks are now a month old.
2009-05-24006.jpg

Before you go too much farther....the way you have the tin on the roof may be a problem. The ridges are supposed to run the dirrection of water flow so that rain/ice isn't sitting on top. If it's raining anyway take a look at where the water is going, if not get out the hose and try it. If you live in a cold climate ICE buildup is going to tear your roof off and give you some serious leaking problems.
Good luck with the rest of it, it looks great.

Thanks for noticing that, Bailey. Yep, hubby knows that but the way the supports were did not allow for the proper direction. Hubby is going to try to rectify that today by using silicon. It's going to be the hard way, but it'll have to do.

Hubby just finished messing with the supports before a great big storm hit. He adjusted the heights until he achieved proper runoff angle. Just ran out and the inside is dry as a bone. My hubby is the best!
love.gif

Lots of progress today!

We finished the inside coop. I know that sounds funny but the laying hens have a suite all to themselves. The meat chickens have the rest. We still need to paint but it was good to get them in for now.
yippiechickie.gif

You can see how hubby changed the roof so it would drain properly:
P5250309.jpg

Happy chickens are finally out of the dog crate!
P5250311.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality. We had to rush to finish before a big storm hit. Just barely got the five hens and their rooster pal in before it began to pour down. Hubby checked on them and they are dry and happy.

The meat chicken portion is the next to finish and then both runs.

Last edited:
That looks great! Isn't it fun to watch them checking things out in a new bigger space?
I'm sorry if I sounded critical about the tin. I have a woodshed (place where the wood is supposed to stay dry) with the tin on the wrong way. It works like a gutter to drop all the rain onto one spot. I was just trying to save you from that headache. It's at the top of our "fun things to do this summer" list to fix it.
Congrats.

Back
Top Bottom