The Saga of the Rescued Duck Egg

MaybeDuckMom

Hatching
Jun 10, 2020
Hi everyone!

Newbie here... who might become a duckling mom very soon.
A few weeks ago, we found an egg washed ashore in the lake next to our house after an unexpected snow storm.
(Before you're too shocked about the weather conditions, I live in Norway. May likes to pretend it's December sometimes :rolleyes:)

I thinks it's a Mallard egg, though I'm not 100% sure. We live in the countryside, and have a lot of wild mallards in the area, as well as other duck species.
We looked around for any nests and ducks, but found nothing. We finally decided to bring it inside, as it was literally lying outside in the snow.
I honestly thought it must have frozen to death. But in any case, I did some googling to learn the basics of candling, egg hatching, humidity and temperature, and so on.

And, well, SOMETHING is going on inside that shell!
I'm attaching a picture from late May, and another picture from yesterday. I don't have a very good flash light, and it's hard to see if there are any veins.
The egg is blue, which I've read makes candling more difficult? Again, I'm such a newbie...
The egg is now almost completely opaque, except from the light area which has grown and become more defined. I believe it is an egg sac.

Does this seem like a live and healthy egg to you guys?
If so, how close do you think it is to hatching?
Any input is appreciated! :)

Attachments

• egglatemay.jpg
    egglatemay.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 36
  • eggjune.jpg
    eggjune.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 8
As time progresses, you should see a little blob (duckling) in the darker area of the egg. Make sure the air sac is located at the wide part of the egg. (the bottom)

Back
Top Bottom