The Science Behind Brining

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Gryphon, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Gryphon

Gryphon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2012
    Iowa
    Caught this episode of NOVA Science Now and was interested to see it was all about food and the science behind it. One of the early bits was a comparison of brined vs. unbrined turkey: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/can-i-eat-that.html
    It's worth watching the entire episode though!

2. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I love Nova there was so much information in that episode thank you for sharing I really enjoyed it.

3. Wax Myrtle

Wax Myrtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Galivants Ferry, SC
    We all love our PBS "N" night. Nature, Nova, and Nova ScienceNow. :D That was a great episode, made my homeschooled kids stay up late to watch it. Oldest wondered if the sou Ve (can't be spelled correctly, I know) method would be good for old roosters...

4. Gryphon

May 7, 2012
    Iowa
    I've always loved Discovery and NOVA growing up, it's a pity I'm miserable at math (dyscalculate) else I probably would have been a scientist of some sort. I still love learning though, and will randomly go through the library to grab a book on something esoteric, like the origin and formation of amber. ;)

Ah, and the word you're looking for is "sous-vide" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide

5. Wax Myrtle

Wax Myrtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Galivants Ferry, SC
    Thanks. I took Spanish and Latin, but French spelling is just beyond me. :rolleyes: IKWYM on books. My most recent stack from the library includes books on mammoths, genetics, bios of an Iowa farmgirl and Alfred the Great as well as some sci-fi. I will never stop the self-educating. ;) The sci-fi is brain candy.

6. Gryphon

May 7, 2012
    Iowa
    Brain candy is good for you! ;) Keeps the imagination active.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by