The Scots Dumpy

They are a dual purpose breed. Standard weights [British Standard] is cock 7lbs & hen 6lbs. They are reported to be good layers of tinted eggs & the hens are reported to be dependable broodies.
My ancestry is Scots so these have long been an interest of mine. This is the first year I noticed them in the Sand Hill catalog. I ordered them & just received notice of my expected shipping date. I'm pretty excited about getting these birds.
BTW-Sand Hill has them in Cuckoo only.

Quote:
I haven't ordered any until I have everything set up for them. Egg laying is only 130 pa. and yes they are good brooders.

"while it might be argued that the breed could benefit from an injection of new colour options to draw in potential new keepers (black and cuckoo don't represent the most charismatic of colour choices, after all), it's important for the breed that these alternatives aren't created at the expense of breed type. " -- PP mag.

This is said due to those who are trying to infuse new colours to the breed. Any colour is acceptable it's just that there are only three common Cuckoo, black and white. Who knows someone might develop a Lavender Dumpy, but what crosses to use and still be able to maintain type.

I was traveling through Europe in the past few weeks and took this picture of a Scots dumpy. Pretty birds but you don't get the full picture until you watch them waddle along on their short little dachsund legs.

ScotsDumpy.jpg

I think these are really neat birds - had read a great write up on them in a poultry book i have - i think they are spectacular - but it did say they were near extinction -

Quote:
Like so many older breeds, they have just fallen by the wayside. Why were/are quality buckeyes, dominiques, or SP rocks not flooding the market? What about the true Rhode Island Reds, or Javas? So many breeds that are now endangered or have only recently been saved.
hmm.png

I really think these guys are super cute, but I'm not a huge fan of fatal genes. I'd rather go with the Scotts Grey, but even then, I think I like the Dominiques much more
smile.png

Quote:
Like so many older breeds, they have just fallen by the wayside. Why were/are quality buckeyes, dominiques, or SP rocks not flooding the market? What about the true Rhode Island Reds, or Javas? So many breeds that are now endangered or have only recently been saved.
hmm.png

I really think these guys are super cute, but I'm not a huge fan of fatal genes. I'd rather go with the Scotts Grey, but even then, I think I like the Dominiques much more
smile.png

You have a valid point really - was jsut curious if it perhaps was the fatal gene that kept people from them . Guess was maybe a rhetorical question lol - no one can really say i suppose -

Back
Top Bottom