1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Scots Dumpy

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rancher hicks, Feb 15, 2011.

1. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    They are a dual purpose breed. Standard weights [British Standard] is cock 7lbs & hen 6lbs. They are reported to be good layers of tinted eggs & the hens are reported to be dependable broodies.
    My ancestry is Scots so these have long been an interest of mine. This is the first year I noticed them in the Sand Hill catalog. I ordered them & just received notice of my expected shipping date. I'm pretty excited about getting these birds.
    BTW-Sand Hill has them in Cuckoo only.

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:I haven't ordered any until I have everything set up for them. Egg laying is only 130 pa. and yes they are good brooders.

"while it might be argued that the breed could benefit from an injection of new colour options to draw in potential new keepers (black and cuckoo don't represent the most charismatic of colour choices, after all), it's important for the breed that these alternatives aren't created at the expense of breed type. " -- PP mag.

This is said due to those who are trying to infuse new colours to the breed. Any colour is acceptable it's just that there are only three common Cuckoo, black and white. Who knows someone might develop a Lavender Dumpy, but what crosses to use and still be able to maintain type.

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  4. stoneunhenged

stoneunhenged Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    USA
    I was traveling through Europe in the past few weeks and took this picture of a Scots dumpy. Pretty birds but you don't get the full picture until you watch them waddle along on their short little dachsund legs.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    I think these are really neat birds - had read a great write up on them in a poultry book i have - i think they are spectacular - but it did say they were near extinction -

6. stoneunhenged

stoneunhenged Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    USA
    Definitely a breed worth saving.

7. Inkheart

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Wonder why they are not popular? From the sounds of it good layers - friendly docile personality etc.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Stone, that is one goreous roo! Beautiful comb I've seen in a long time! Worthy of show?

9. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    Quote:Like so many older breeds, they have just fallen by the wayside. Why were/are quality buckeyes, dominiques, or SP rocks not flooding the market? What about the true Rhode Island Reds, or Javas? So many breeds that are now endangered or have only recently been saved. [​IMG]

I really think these guys are super cute, but I'm not a huge fan of fatal genes. I'd rather go with the Scotts Grey, but even then, I think I like the Dominiques much more [​IMG]

10. Inkheart

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Quote:Like so many older breeds, they have just fallen by the wayside. Why were/are quality buckeyes, dominiques, or SP rocks not flooding the market? What about the true Rhode Island Reds, or Javas? So many breeds that are now endangered or have only recently been saved. [​IMG]

I really think these guys are super cute, but I'm not a huge fan of fatal genes. I'd rather go with the Scotts Grey, but even then, I think I like the Dominiques much more [​IMG]

You have a valid point really - was jsut curious if it perhaps was the fatal gene that kept people from them . Guess was maybe a rhetorical question lol - no one can really say i suppose -

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by