The search for good meat rabbits

bbb053.jpg

This is the wire in the rafters that is looped over the boards and twisted tight. All the cages are also wired together. It is one big unit. Let me know if you want to see more. Gena

Last edited:
Hey FarmGirl01, i see you have english spots. We got what we believe to be pair a few weeks ago. I was just wondering, do you think i could cross breed them with a cali for good meat?

I didn't think it'd be that hard to get rid of them, but it seems no one wants paperless rabbits.
hmm.png
They're really sweet. I have a doe and a buck. I'm not breeding them to eachother because they look like siblings. Also, could you maybe verify that they are english spots? I understand they are extremely poor examples of their breed. Here's my buck:
Spring08107.jpg

All the pics of my doe are really bad. Also her spots blend together much more.

I picked her up for 2 dollars. We have a local auction once a month. The rabbits are very cheap. You can get one with papers for about 5 dollars. I was planning on breeding her to a Rex for meat babies. I always use cross rabbits. I think your cross would be fine.

Wow! 2 bucks! I hope i can find some nice ones when i go to the auction. I'm glad i don't have to keep up this long search for a new owner! Thanks everyone! You've been very helpful!

They have a summer pen right now and spend most of the time inside. If i expand the chicken house and move them in there would they be OK? I've heard of peoples chickens roosting on the cages, but are there health hazards?

Sorry I really don't know for sure of health hazards. But I bet you would get tired of all the chicken poo. It would get in the water and their food. I bet you could come up with something to put on top. I have used tarps on top in the winter time. Or even some cut lumber. Just try it and go from there.
Maybe someone else will see this and respond.

No no no, i meant if i added a room to the chicken house. That way i could put a fan in it with out 9 hens piling up in front. I've just heard of chicken poo being hazardous to human health and wondered if it hurt rabbits to be near it. I;ve even heard of people getting sick from playing where old chicken coops had been. I'm sure a few hens would get in every now and again, but would it hurt them?

There is a rare disease that can be picked up from where chickens used to live.
I saw an episode of House where a small child had it so I Googled it. It's rare but
made for good tv drama.

Our bunnies run around with our chickens and we never had a problem.

Large meat rabbits tend to fair better in cold weather. Putting them in their little room in a chicken coop is a nice idea but it is really not always the best thing for them. Leaving them in an outside area with a top cover and a wind break while still allowing for good air flow is the better option.

Here's my Californian Doe that my friend gave me. I'm sure her nose coloring will be better in cooler weather.
Spring08001.jpg

Spring08002.jpg

Back
Top Bottom