The secret life of Skyla

Jayrf929

In the Brooder
Oct 14, 2018
My 10 month old Buff Orpington named Skyla by my son, has been acting strange the past couple days. She’s mia while the rest of the flock free ranges. I have a bell that I ring when I want to get them out of the neighbors yard or get them in the coop if I‘m heading out. I thought I lost her to a predator a few days ago because when I rang the bell she never came back. (They get meal worms anytime the bell is rang so they are trained well). At dusk she was wandering around the coop looking for a way in. I let her in and the same thing has happened now 3 days in a row. My kids and I searched everywhere and can’t find where she is hiding. She also practically threw her self at my R.I Red rooster to mate today when I let them out to free range. She also has some feathers missing on her back. Not sure if any of this is related to her disappearance during free ranging but it is note worthy. Any ideas as to what is provoking this strange behavior? Any help is appreciated. I’ll attach a picture to show the loss of feathers. Thank you!

Attachments

• 28B7FF07-EB63-42F3-8FF2-BE101F917578.jpeg
    28B7FF07-EB63-42F3-8FF2-BE101F917578.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
She may be thinking she wants to be a mommy. Does she ever lay eggs in the regular nests? Your best bet would be to assign the kid who named her to follow her and discover her hiding place because she probably has a pile of eggs there. If she switches over to full broody, you'll really have a hard time finding her.

Yep, it sounds like an oncoming broody situation with her. I agree send the son to follow her and find her hidden nest. Looks to me like her missing back feathers are caused by the mating from the rooster. Good luck, you may have chicks in your future! :p

Back
Top Bottom