The shape/texture of the egg has changed. Is there a deficiency?

melanie

Songster
10 Years
Feb 16, 2009
Texas
My Buff Orpington has started laying eggs shaped more like Weebles instead of an oval egg. Also, the egg has a band slightly thicker around the widest part of the egg. Is this a deficiency or some sort? I noticed the egg slightly split on the band when I hard boiled it. The other hens have only been here about 6 weeks and their eggs are normal. Thanks.

It's possible she is laying bigger eggs at this time of year, and might benefit from more calcium both for the shell and for her muscle tone when laying. I assume your layer feed has oyster shell and that she isn't getting too many treats? If she is a hog for treats, she may be lacking a bit...
cool.png

Also check her vent area to see that all appears to be normal...

Thanks for the reply. I have been feeding them a 14% wild game cock maintence mix. It's mostly seeds, corn and I wanted to feed it instead of a crumble type feed as this seemed less processed than the laying feed. After looking on the internet it seems it's not enough protein, is that right. The people at the feed store recommended this feed as it's not as messy as the crumble. I have a banty rooster and wanted to avoid pellets as they may be hard for him to eat. Should I switch feed? thx

Back
Top Bottom