The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread

Hi everyone!

I got my SLW chicks last night. 3 days old!!!! The cutest things I have ever seen! I also got a SLW roo which is about the same age as my GLW. 8 weeks old. Hes handsome already. Hes having a bit of trouble fitting in with the others his age. They chase him some and will peck him if they get the chance. He trys to stay out of their way and off by himself. Will they all adjust and get used to him?

Normally, it's establishing a pecking order and getting used to each other. If it persists to a point where he is endangered, then remove him and wait until they are older. If he is a guy you want in the flock the pullets will accept him more readily. Good luck!

I have 1 hen a year old named shimmer... I ordered her last year from Purely Poultry as a 5 mixed Wyandotte, well they all were roo's except her and snowball. I got 2GLW roosters, 2 white wyandottes 1 roo 1 hen Snowball, and shimmer, I love her even though she is a poor example of the breed she is gorgeous to me..... here she is with Fileen

I have another picture someplace a better one will try to find it.......
https://www.backyardchickens.com/image/id/7084744/width/900/height/900/flags/LL
I love the birds that have been posted here.....WOW that last rooster too was eye popping gorgeous.....

I have 1 hen a year old named shimmer... I ordered her last year from Purely Poultry as a 5 mixed Wyandotte, well they all were roo's except her and snowball. I got 2GLW roosters, 2 white wyandottes 1 roo 1 hen Snowball, and shimmer, I love her even though she is a poor example of the breed she is gorgeous to me..... here she is with Fileen

I have another picture someplace a better one will try to find it.......
https://www.backyardchickens.com/image/id/7084744/width/900/height/900/flags/LL
I love the birds that have been posted here.....WOW that last rooster too was eye popping gorgeous.....
Ahhh, she's beautiful. I am soo crossing my fingers that my Silver is a hen not a rooster. I've become obsessive with watching for signs every day. LOL
I love the name Shimmer!

Normally, it's establishing a pecking order and getting used to each other. If it persists to a point where he is endangered, then remove him and wait until they are older. If he is a guy you want in the flock the pullets will accept him more readily. Good luck!

Thanks so much.... They still are being mean. I cant say that they really hurt him real bad but he isn't even aloud to move.. eat, drink etc... he is all excitted when I come in and will immediatly jump down come to me and start eating. If Im not in the coop they chase, chase, chase and peek non stop till he disappears in his hiding spot. I feel awful!! I let him outside with the grown hens wondering how they would be... They don't chase him, they will get after him if he comes near but is allowed to move around. However they could really hurt him if they did... I have 1 week olds in the house, should he come in with them instead..... Really don't know what to do!!! He is the sweetest thing ever and do not want him to get hurt, discouraged or anything...

Cute chick, but I;m guessing a cockerel, because at 5 weeks my hen showed no red and no comb at all...... I could be wrong tho, 5 weeks is very young.......

I was thinking the same thing - a tad young. He looks flustered, though, with his scruffy feathers.

Flustered? As in confused/agitated? Or is there some chicken meaning I am not privy too? LOL

The comb area is red but nothing raised as of yet.

So bummed if its a cockerel. I'm sure I'd find a good home, but then have to find a SLW hen. I really want one!!!

Thanks for your input!!!

Back
Top Bottom