The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cuntryuppiechick, Dec 3, 2011.

1. HenDaddy

HenDaddy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2012
    Dayton, Texas
    Well for about three weeks they slowly were disappearing. So I maybe thought someone was stealing but I found a SMALL hole in the bottom of the fence. I'm not sure how they could've gotten through it but they must have because all are gone. My flock of double laced blue barnevelders are just fine though. The while has been fixed so they nothing can get out.

2. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    And they just wondered off? Caught a bus? Crossed the road? I don't understand how an entire flock disappears. Generally chickens come back to roost

3. quailtrail

quailtrail Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    Poland Maine
    So as I prepare for my SLW what do I need??? Are they friendly or less friendly towards us?

4. HenDaddy

Dec 28, 2012
    Dayton, Texas
    Trust me
    trust me I get it. I've had chickens for almost 8 years and have never had this happen. I think once they got out the wondered off and got picked up by something. Hawks are really bad out where I live. Along with dogs and coyotes. But yep. All 11 of them just gone.

5. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Stolen?

6. ChickenFox

ChickenFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    West Virginia
    I'm sorry about your flock HenDaddy. [​IMG] If my boys and girls disappeared I would be devastated....on a happier note I believe one of my SLW laid their first egg today. [​IMG] I say believe because I have 2 SLW and 4 RSL and while 2 of the eggs I got today look the same this one was larger and a different color. Also I don't think Betty is ready to lay quite yet so Wilma is really the only option. [​IMG] She won't cooperate for the camera today but here's a pic of her egg!

[​IMG]

And here with the other 2 I got today
    [​IMG]

BTW these are my first ever eggs. [​IMG]

EDIT:
    Manage to snap 2 of Wilma. I swear I would think she was a he with that comb and wattles! But no hackle or saddle feathers at 18 1/2 weeks and my banty Roo is always trying to court her. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  7. HenDaddy

Dec 28, 2012
    Dayton, Texas
    I'm not sure. I've thought about that but there's only one other family in my neighborhood who has chickens and I'm don't think they would do that. I need to go make a visit but I doubt it.

8. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    I have two SLWs that i got for spring .

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  9. Wyandotte103

Wyandotte103 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    My henhouse
    My six chickens started laying this week. Since Wednesday, I've gotten nine eggs[​IMG]

10. mcgillagorilla

mcgillagorilla Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Hey....
    I usually read posts but don't get to chat too often. I got my SLW from Jerry as well - won an auction and got some beautiful birds from his show and exhibition lines. They are about 12 - 13 weeks now. unfortunately I got a tilt towards roosters. If your are interested in a roo (wish I had more hens but [​IMG]) let me know. Anyone else for that matter. Have quite a few roos and cannot keep them all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by