1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The simple things..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bayouchica, May 16, 2007.

1. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    I just love chickens [​IMG] [​IMG]

the littlest things make them happy. They were looking bored out in their coop, so I went & dug up some fresh dirt. Less than 2 seconds the were all over it. Sometimes I'll bring them some spanish moss & they go nuts for it. [​IMG]
    I've been letting them range for awhile in the evening before I bring them back inside. They're growing up fast & soon they will be out full time.
    Then I'll be missing hearing them in the other room at night. [​IMG]
    Looks like one of my rescue chics is a boy [​IMG] They are growing so fast & get along with the other chics just fine.
    BTW, those young chics, are they Araconas (sp?) or Americanas or EE's if anyone knows. The feed store had a sign saying Araconas,but the ticket from the store said Americanas.So I'm confused [​IMG]
    Thanks,Miriam

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    thanks for the info, I will go take some freshly dug up soil to my "kids" for them to scratch through. Mine are going on five weeks and yours look about the same age??

3. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    I don't see any Araucana's, possibly they are Ameraucana's, but more probably they are Easter Eggers (which is an Ameraucana cross).

4. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi Ozark, The two black & white chics are I think just about 6 weeks old & the younger ones are about three weeks. Yeah those babies are begging to go out now, don't want to disappoint the children. [​IMG]
    Thanks so much AccidentalFarm, I get confused... that's not hard for me to do. [​IMG]
    Thanks yall,Miriam

5. jamiebartlett

jamiebartlett Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    ONe way to tell is Aracaunas are rumpless (no tail feathers) Ameracaunas have tail feathers. [​IMG]

6. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Cute picture of your chicks. It reminds me of mine when we dump the finished compost on the garden. Thanks to them, I don't have to rake the compost over the soil anymore.
    Stephanie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by