The smallest little girl in the bunch

KayNova

Chirping
May 24, 2017
Hello everyone! I'm new to backyard chicken but have been lurking for quite some time. We just got our little ladies a few days ago and I'm so in love. This is our first time with chickens so some of my questions might be silly to come. I have a real problem with becoming too attached to these girls and giving them personalities. I actually do that with all animals. I can't help it haha. Ok, my question is about the runt. She's always by herself. All the time. Sometimes I see her pecking the ground for food but I don't usually see her eating from the food dish. I don't see her drinking but I don't watch them constantly. I tried separating her to offer food and water but she hated being separated. She falls asleep in my hand when I hold her so I don't think she's scared but maybe? I just feel so bad for her. Should I keep trying to separate her so she can eat or do you think she's getting enough while I'm not watching. Do all runts die from not getting what they need? I realize that some people think I'm dumb for feeling like this. It's really hard for me to watch her all alone in there but I really can't help it.

How old are these chickens, and what kind(s) are they, and what is your set up?
BTW, welcome to BYC, be sure to check out the "Articles" for all the how-to's....

Welcome to BYC.
You need to make sure it is drinking and eating.
Offer her some water, to the beak, on a spoon.
She is not falling asleep in your hand because it's comfy and cozy, she has no energy.
Can you get some electrolytes and poultry vitamins for her?

They are bovan browns. Week old. I have electrolytes in their water. The feed store employee said to give them a water dish with regular water and one with probiotics with electrolytes. Is that correct? I'll get her some water on a spoon now. If she doesn't drink it is there anything else I can do to help? I'll have to go get some vitamins.

Our set up is a large trough, shavings and heat lamp or two if needed. Two separate food dishes and two water dishes. When I say dish I mean that they are appropriate for chicks, I just don't know what they're called

Can you post a pic of your set up.
Too much heat can be very bad.

They are bovan browns. Week old. I have electrolytes in their water. The feed store employee said to give them a water dish with regular water and one with probiotics with electrolytes. Is that correct? I'll get her some water on a spoon now. If she doesn't drink it is there anything else I can do to help? I'll have to go get some vitamins.
Make sure you are giving her the electrolyte water.

I use a thermometer to keep watch of the temp. I also monitor to make sure they are evenly spread throughout and not all bunched to either side. I read on here that week old should be at 90/95°. Is that correct? I'll post a pic now

85 would be better.
Are you heating only one side....so they have room to get away from the heat.
Too much heat can cause them to develop slower..this one chick may be having this problem.

Back
Top Bottom