The Sneezing Continues.....

vtara16

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 1, 2009
North Hampton
I have been chatting with you in regards to my RIR that I bought about 5-6 weeks ago. The minute I got her home she started sneezing and had labored breathing, but had no other symptoms. I have kept her separate and put her on Oxytetracycline (Tetroxy HCA -208). After a few weeks her breathing was 100% better. Since she had been on the antibiotic so long with little improvements with the sneezing, I decided to take her off from the antibiotics about 1 week ago.

She still continues to sneeze, but definitely not as bad as before. It also seems like it is only when she gets excited, if I stand back out of site she does not sneeze. I did notice that she is growing, even her comb, so I am totally stumped. I don't know what to do. I am hesitant to kill her since she does not have any other symptoms.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be very helpful. Should i try a different antibiotic?
I am totally baffled.

Last edited:
How interesting... I too have an RIR who sneezes. Thats all, just the sneezing. It started when i introduced 6 new hens, she DID seem sick at first, ( I posted about it a while back)but bounced back and is otherwise VERY healthy and happy! And, like yours, mine also seems to do it more when she's excited or hears/sees me coming. Huh!! Strange little quirk! By the way, none of the other hens have any respiratory issues, and since this has been going on for months now I've decided its just the way it is. Everyone seems no worse for it. So; I for one don't think you should kill her.
Happy Holidays to u and yours!!
yippiechickie.gif

I bought some RIR and BO pullets from a breeder a few months ago. They were three and four months old, respectively. I noticed going home that I had one RIR sneezing and wheezing. Not having any experience with sick chickens, I just assumed it was a cold and didn't worry about it. The RIRs and the BOs had been housed in separate but nearby tractors. After a few days, the whole flock was sneezing and wheezing. Turned out to be a URI. Vet said it was caused by a virus and was not really treatable. He didn't mean it was a death sentence, like I thought, just that the virus would have to run it's course. Out of about 30 pullets, I lost about a half dozen - the rest have recovered (including one that I thought for sure was a gonner and planned to cull because she could just lay on her side and gasping - hard- for breath. The next morning, she was up and around and eating, so I decided to watch and see - and she was much better in a few days.) and are now starting to lay. I think being ill and the shorter days has slowed the laying - hopefully by spring I'll be getting lots of eggs!

BTW - the sneezy RIR - still wheezes at night. Not during the day. I think she's developed a snore!

Last edited:
Could you put one other chicken from your flock in with her, as a "test". It will also give her some companionship, and a partner to help with eventual integration (hopefully!).

I read something very interesting some time ago when the bird flu was g oing rampant in Asia where even whole flocks of chickens got sick and died But those people who fed their chickens "kimchee" got well. Our raw saurkraut that you can buy in most local grocery stores is supposed to do the same thing. It may be worth a try.

I've heard that to about feeding your chickens "kimchee" when they're sick. I wonder why chickens like sour tasting food. Oh well, its a mystery to me.

Back
Top Bottom