The squat..How long before eggs?

Hen Daddy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 20, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Our GLW has just started squatting for me when I go in the run. Is started earlier this week. About how long on average is the timeframe before she lays? We are hoping soon because all our hens are on an egg-hiatus.

A week or two perhaps. Watch out for huge poops. They are a good indicator that the hen is eating enough to make an egg.

Update!!!

Well she squatted for about 3 days and this afternoon laid an egg! Her first and the only one we have had in about a month!!

Awesome!!

So, based on what I'm reading here, if the hens squat and are having large stools, that means they are getting ready to lay???
big_smile.png
Mine squat when I pet them...I thought they were just afraid. Also there is a white coating on their stools. Is that normal?

mine are all squating and 90% are laying, and all are pooping huge poo with white on the tail end of it....those are great signs of eggs on the way, and my first one to squat layed like 2 days after I saw her squat the first time.

Squatting, large poo, means eggs are coming soon. I learn something new every day. That covers today.

EDIT: BTW, when you say "squat", does that mean that they squat when they poop?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom