The squat..How long before eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hen Daddy, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Hen Daddy

Hen Daddy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Our GLW has just started squatting for me when I go in the run. Is started earlier this week. About how long on average is the timeframe before she lays? We are hoping soon because all our hens are on an egg-hiatus.

2. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    A week or two perhaps. Watch out for huge poops. They are a good indicator that the hen is eating enough to make an egg.

3. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I have had one that squatted four weeks before the first egg, the rest about two weeks.

4. Hen Daddy

Hen Daddy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Update!!!

Well she squatted for about 3 days and this afternoon laid an egg! Her first and the only one we have had in about a month!!

Awesome!!

5. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    HUGE POOPS INDICATE THEY ARE GETTING READY TO LAY????? Yahoooooooooooo.....I just said this morning....man the girls poops are getting BIG!!!!!

I'm so excited.

6. HpyNDxie

HpyNDxie New Egg

Aug 1, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    So, based on what I'm reading here, if the hens squat and are having large stools, that means they are getting ready to lay??? [​IMG] Mine squat when I pet them...I thought they were just afraid. Also there is a white coating on their stools. Is that normal?

7. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Mine started squatting a day before the egg.

8. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    mine are all squating and 90% are laying, and all are pooping huge poo with white on the tail end of it....those are great signs of eggs on the way, and my first one to squat layed like 2 days after I saw her squat the first time.

9. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    The white on chicken poo is urate, produced by their kidneys. The equivalent to urine.

Matt

10. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Squatting, large poo, means eggs are coming soon. I learn something new every day. That covers today.

EDIT: BTW, when you say "squat", does that mean that they squat when they poop?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by