The squat..How long before eggs?

Hi,
Is it normal for them to squat for humans as well?
A couple of ours started doing that and at first, yes, we were like, "What the ***l???"
Strange looking.
Do they consider you the head roo or something when you go in if they squat for you?
Some of our hens never did do that for us when they started.?
Another weird chicken behavior, LOL!
THanks ,
Angela

Is it normal for them to squat for humans as well?

My hens only squat for humans. When the boys are granted access to the girls run they all fly up on their outdoor roosts and stay up there. I have one hen that follows me around the run squating. It's kinda disturbing.:|​

LOL!
big_smile.png

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who was disturbed by this at first, haha!!

What if your hens are a bit skittish...as in they run away when you move towards them? Will they still squat for you when they are getting close to laying?

Don't know the answer to that one, I can assume that not all hens will squat when you come in either. I noticed some of ours have and some haven't at all but started laying on their own with no "outward" sign like squating.
Hope that helps.

had our first 4 egg day. our EE, Fork, the runt of the flock is our favorite and squats for us all the time. she lays pretty blue eggs. here is a pic of her starting to squat when i reached for her slowly.
100_1213.jpg

My hens were really skittish, the only way I could catch one was to corner it with the fence. But as soon as they started doing the squat they suddenly became tame because when I reach for them they stop, squat, and don't move and let me pet them. At first I thought they were scared, because it kind of reminded me of a scared dog who flinches and pulls away from you, but then I had an epiphany and though, oh, this must be the squat. Eggs came soon after.

I like to think it means that I'm in charge. I really like that I can catch them now.

I prefer the words "disturbing" and "creepy". You will know a squat as soon as you see it. Regardless of how you feel about it, you know eggs are due soon.

Ok, here's a question about the big Poohs. I have an 8 week old bantam who makes HUGE poohs. She only weighs a pound and she has a few more months before she is ready to lay eggs. How much bigger will her poohs get? How much worse when she goes broody? I am starting to get scared of what her broody poohs will be.

2788856567_e8ee655fe5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom