The State of MA showed up today to inspect our chickens

SewingDiva

Songster
12 Years
Aug 31, 2007
Westwood MA, South of Boston
It was fine actually. The doorbell rang at about 2pm and a nice lady who looked like she could be my neighbor explained that she comes around this time every year. Took her out to the backyard, showed her the coop and she raved about how nice it is and how happy the birds looked. I showed her our permit from the town taped to the dinning room window. She was satisfied and then she filled out her form and gave me my pink copy.

So I checked out this form, and evidently anyone who has poultry, cattle, goats, llamas, pigs or horses is supposed to be inspected once a year and this applies to commercial operations as well as backyard animals.

My town is usually pretty thorough about communicating regulations, but this was a complete surprise and I don't recall seeing this anywhere on our town website so I thought I'd mention it for the benefit of Massachusetts BYCer's!

smile.png

~Phyllis

Last edited:
Quote:
That's a good point, it might be a town by town thing depending on local bylaws and zoning.

I think (and I should do some research to confirm my assumption here) that she was actually from my town BOH (who issues chicken permits) and she was charged by the state to also do the inspection.

I can't recall what state agency is named on the form, I;ll look it over tonight.

~Phyllis

We've had four chickens for over a year and have not had a visit from the Town, unless they came while I'm at work...

I had my surprise inspection last sunday.
My town's animal control officer showed up at 10:00 a.m knocked on the door and said I am here for my annual surprise inspection.
I knew he would be coming in October because when I got the permit for keeping chickens he actually told me that he does a suprise inspection every October.
The state does require it, towns are suppose to enforce it.
Its suppose to be done by someone from your town, usually an animal control officer and they send the report into the state agriculture dept.
I think some towns may be more lax on it if they don't have the manpower to go door to door. But if your town requires you to have a permit to keep poultry then they are required by the state to inspect your animals and property once a year.
Thats the information I was given when I applied for my permit.

when we had the horses in the back yard we had to get a license to have them and the town animal inspector was supposed to come around once a year to inspect them. We had the horses there for over 10 years and saw him twice.
Only time the other horse owners in the town ever saw him was when there was a problem, ie someone poisoned their horses.
Mine would tear through the fence a few times a year and we never saw him.

Back
Top Bottom