The story of 19 Button Quail eggs in a homemade incubator

Melay

Hatching
Oct 4, 2016
Hello!
wee.gif

I'm new to this forum, though i've read and learnt a lot here before signing up. I thought i'd share my little hatching story with you, and post day by day to let you follow my babies, and most likely, help me out!
smile.png

I'm rather new to this, with only one button quail incubation behind me. It went very well, with all five eggs happy and growing, until i managed to let a heat strike disturb them. With no backstory told, i managed to get it up to 41 C (105,8), for a few hours, right before lockdown. I candled them after a while, and three were still moving. Now it's day 18 and i'm hoping for one last guy, Sid, who is still keeping it up in there. The rest didnt make it, i'm 99 % sure. I feel so guilty.

So first question, do you think i can still cheer for this guy? He hasn't pipped, he's not making a sound, but moving when candling and i also float tested with good results.
sad.png

Yesterday i went to pick up some news eggs. I live in Sweden and it's getting rather chilly now, about 8 C (46,6), i went to pick them up by train and they were pretty cold. I managed to put three of them in my bra on the train, but got strange looks from a girl a few seats away.. and well, swedes dont like being strange, so i didn't touch my boobs any more that train ride. Later on the busride i got two more into safe bra-heat though.
big_smile.png

So, after being in room temp for a good 12 hours they're now safe in the bator. 3 had cracks, but i read you might be able to save them by using nail polish (i later understood wax is better but too late), so they're fashionable pink now.
yesss.gif

SORRY FOR LONG TEXT, im sooo excited!

I numbered all the eggs, 1-3 travelled the whole wy in warmth, 4-5 was warm during the busride and the rest were cold allt he way home. 17-19 had holes. I just liked to really follow each and every one from the start, with every detail.

Good luck with your one last egg from the last batch and the whole new batch! I really want some button quail, but I think it'll have to wait, so I'll live vicariously through your hatch. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom