The Story of a Broody LEGHORN!

Pics

chkncrazy

Songster
7 Years
Apr 23, 2017
Connecticut
Hey guys,

I've enjoyed having Leghorn in my flock oh, I always add a few to my flock and I've never had a mean one, and I've never had a Broody one. I actually haven't had a Broody hen in probably 20 years. Six months ago I bought two leghorn pullets... one got taken by a predator which left me with one she's probably a year old, we just got done rearing 14 chicks from Tractor Supply which are about 10 weeks old now. I thought I was done for the season actually for the next couple of years but nature has another plan, I noticed a couple weeks ago my Leghorn was making you a special little clucking noises that I never heard before but she wasn't Broody or fluffing up.... I mentioned somewhere else I had been rearing the chicks with a shared fence with my Leghorn and my other two remaining chickens that I didn't cull... I don't know if it was the chicks she went broody a week and a half ago fully!!! I PUT EGGS ender her a day before my Bday on the 9th... all I could find were fertile eggs for $30 a dozen local or Ebay eggs which were more expensive... I found someone three streets over selling farm fresh eggs for five bucks a dozen I called her up and asked her if she has a rooster with her girls and she said yes, and sold! I bought 12..for 5$ she had bluebells jeraey giants and marans with an ee rooster... 6 eggs are bluebells the rest were mixes..after 3 days i noticed the eggs were too many I took 2 out and crackes em nothing..they were on the outer rim but they were fertile...then in the 4th day my crazy self took another egg out I cracked it and it has red veins all over...oooops.. I guess nine eggs is more manageable now than 12 for a little Leghorn.... I don't think she has done enough to eat or drink I got her to drink out of a shot glass one day that I held up to her beak.... finger crossed!!!

Attachments

• 20200912_143703.jpg
    20200912_143703.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 50
Hey guys,

I've enjoyed having Leghorn in my flock oh, I always add a few to my flock and I've never had a mean one, and I've never had a Broody one. I actually haven't had a Broody hen in probably 20 years. Six months ago I bought two leghorn pullets... one got taken by a predator which left me with one she's probably a year old, we just got done rearing 14 chicks from Tractor Supply which are about 10 weeks old now. I thought I was done for the season actually for the next couple of years but nature has another plan, I noticed a couple weeks ago my Leghorn was making you a special little clucking noises that I never heard before but she wasn't Broody or fluffing up.... I mentioned somewhere else I had been rearing the chicks with a shared fence with my Leghorn and my other two remaining chickens that I didn't cull... I don't know if it was the chicks she went broody a week and a half ago fully!!! I PUT EGGS ender her a day before my Bday on the 9th... all I could find were fertile eggs for $30 a dozen local or Ebay eggs which were more expensive... I found someone three streets over selling farm fresh eggs for five bucks a dozen I called her up and asked her if she has a rooster with her girls and she said yes, and sold! I bought 12..for 5$ she had bluebells jeraey giants and marans with an ee rooster... 6 eggs are bluebells the rest were mixes..after 3 days i noticed the eggs were too many I took 2 out and crackes em nothing..they were on the outer rim but they were fertile...then in the 4th day my crazy self took another egg out I cracked it and it has red veins all over...oooops.. I guess nine eggs is more manageable now than 12 for a little Leghorn.... I don't think she has done enough to eat or drink I got her to drink out of a shot glass one day that I held up to her beak.... finger crossed!!!
I’m guessing she’s the broody that you were asking if the new chicks caused her to get broody? If so it’s great to see she’s full committing and hopefully she’s able to raise them up!

When my friend's cochin went broody they gave her some food and water all to herself that were right near the nest, but far enough away that she had to get up and walk a little bit to get some exercise.

Back
Top Bottom