The story of blind Blink ❤️ +the story of the three raccoons

Blind Blink: In 2015 we had a batch of chicks consisting of 3 EEs and 2 production reds. One of the EEs would stare up at you and blink whenever you walked past or stoped to look at them. I named her Blink of course! Then, years later (I want to say late fall 2018 or 2019) I come home and my family’s like “we’re sorry to tell you but something happened to one of your chickens” and of course it’s my favorite, sweet, fluffy Blinky-Boo. Apparently while I was gone an otter had came and bit her on the neck. My dad had heard the squabble and came out to see what had happened and he got there in time to save her but we soon realized she was blind in both eyes. I was horrified. She was my girl and I couldn’t believe this had happened to her. We did research, talked it out, and just spent time simply sitting next to her and talking to her. With regards to her food first we gave her water, then yogurt then chicken food, water and yogurt mixed together then food and water mixed together then eventually just food and water. She was sad and slow at first but now she’s gotten better, she can find her food and water without help if we always put them in the same spot, she lays pretty green eggs, and she responds to you if you say “Blink-Blink.” We keep her near the other chickens but not with them because they pick on her really bad (yes we’ve tried). And yes it is a complete coincidence (or maybe fate) that her name is Blink. Also funny part: I got so freaked out because upon inspection there was a “thing” sticking out of the base of her tail ish area and I thought it was some sort of bone only to learn it was her oil gland🤪
Blink:View attachment 2846759
This makes me happy. We got a batch of chickens when I was 5, and one of them was so scared and so fast that me and my brother named her "Elusive" terrible name, I know lol. And she remained terrified until she Was 5. (I was 10) but out of nowhere, she wasn't attacked or anything, she just became blind in both eyes. And this lead to a very great several years for me. I could finally pet elusive! Lol. But beyond that, she became my favorite pet. More than even our dogs and cats. I spent probably on average like idk, 2 hours a day with her trying to get her a proper amount of feed and water and safe free range time as well. I got so attached that I couldn't even enjoy vacation that much because I was so worried that the person taking care of her at the house would mess something up haha. She lived for another 5 years after becoming fully blind, died when she was 10. Quite peacefully I might add too. Never got all that sick, just slowly declined over time. But it's nice to see this chicken being taken care of because I know how much work needs to be put in to take care of the blind!

This makes me happy. We got a batch of chickens when I was 5, and one of them was so scared and so fast that me and my brother named her "Elusive" terrible name, I know lol. And she remained terrified until she Was 5. (I was 10) but out of nowhere, she wasn't attacked or anything, she just became blind in both eyes. And this lead to a very great several years for me. I could finally pet elusive! Lol. But beyond that, she became my favorite pet. More than even our dogs and cats. I spent probably on average like idk, 2 hours a day with her trying to get her a proper amount of feed and water and safe free range time as well. I got so attached that I couldn't even enjoy vacation that much because I was so worried that the person taking care of her at the house would mess something up haha. She lived for another 5 years after becoming fully blind, died when she was 10. Quite peacefully I might add too. Never got all that sick, just slowly declined over time. But it's nice to see this chicken being taken care of because I know how much work needs to be put in to take care of the blind!
Aw! Today I caught her taking a dust bath in her bedding haha she was so cute. Taking care of any injured animal is hard work but it’s worth it :)

Back
Top Bottom