The Story of Lucky, a rescued Bantam RIR Hen

Phoenix Farms

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 11, 2012
Southern Illinois
The story of Lucky, the bantam RIR hen:

So I came home last night and went to lock the birds up. I had a flashlight do I could count everybody and make sure they are put up just fine. I shined the flashlight around like I usually do and I saw a chicjen rooster on some old boards we had piled up next to the shed. Earlier that day we had been told by our neighbors that they thought one of our chickens got free because they saw a small red bird running around. We counted our red ones and no one was missing. So I knew this was the bird she saw. It's amazing house she survived because the dogs had attacked her because her back was skinned and bloody. I brought her inside and we clipped her wing, gave her a antibiotic shot and put her on the roost in our chicken coop. She is still alive and doing just fine tonight. I'm so glad I found her in time or she would've been eaten by a coyote or farm dog.

I'm glad she got to you guys and she's O.K. but I would suggest keeping her quarantined for a few weeks, just to make sure she's not carrying any diseases or pests that can spread around your flock. Deworming her and dusting her for mites would also be a good idea.

Yeah. I agree with Sumi. You should quarantine her, just to be certain she 's not carrying anything. I am glad you found her. It is always wonderful when you can save the life of an animal in need.

Back
Top Bottom