The Story of My Princess PiriPiri

Viia

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 18, 2013
Cape Town, South Africa
Hello world, my name is Princess PiriPiri and this is my story so far. During a sizzling hot South African summer's day I fought my way out of the egg only to find that I was all alone. No mom, no siblings. no one to keep me safe. Just me and some eggs under a small bush. I peeped and peeped loud as I could, but my mom did not come. On wobbly legs, I started running as fast as I could, in no particular direction at all. I ran under lots of benches and long legs until a pair of hands scooped me up. These hands carried me away to another pair of hands that scolded the first for taking me away from my mother. Maybe she knew where my mom was.

The warm hands put me in a hutch with food and water, but I did not want those. I just wanted my mom so I peeped and peeped loud as I could for all the world to hear. In the distance were white birds floating on water. I did not think one of those was my mom since I had no urge whatsoever to go for a swim. There were other birds too. They scratched and pecked at the ground, but took no notice of me at all. How could the ground be more interesting than I? Did they not hear me pleading and crying?

As the shadows stretched long across the land, the warm hands came back for me. At last someone acknowledged my existence! The warm hands carried me to the pecking birds and set me down. I peeped and waddled from bird to bird, but they all stepped aside and moved away, offended by my presence. The warm hands scooped me up and suddenly I was alone again. This time I could not see a thing! How did night come so instantly?

The ground trembled and shook and I did not know what to do, so I just peeped some more. Suddenly the light returned and the warm hands scooped me up once again. Would these hands protect me in the night? Would they show me how to fill my empty belly and quench my thirst? And what is that cute upside down heart they are all talking about?

There were other hands and short, fluffy legs too. Were they to be trusted?

The fluffy one was very frightened of me so that could not have been my mom.

The warm hands pecked at boiled egg until I tried it and realized that it would fill my belly. The warm hands held a water drop to my beak until I realized that it would quench my thirst. The warm hands kept me warm and safe. I thought to myself that she would do as my mom. I fell asleep under a little fleece blanket in a warm, cozy spot.

I woke mom warm hands up very early for the next 2 weeks but she did not seem to mind too much. I followed her around constantly, peeping and peeping just to make sure she did not forget about little me. She fed me lots of yummy food and even caught flies for me. I learned very quickly that the zappy swatting thing would drop a stunned fly to the ground! I would pee-pip pee-pip in excitement each time I got one and run far away in case short fluffy legs wanted my fly.

As the days passed, I learned to chase down my own flies. Head low for aerodynamics, wings out for down-force and legs ready for offensive maneuvers! Sometimes they escaped because I showed off to mom by playing with the flies instead of eating them quickly. Woops!

Mom also grows sprouts for me and the fluffy short legs and gives me lettuce, but i still like to eat her chili and cucumber plants too because I'm cheeky like that.

And how I love my sand baths! I go round and round in the pot, flapping up a sandstorm! Sometimes I take a quick nap so that I would feel more energized when jumping up to eat the chili plants.

I also play a very fun game all day long. As soon as mom tries to pick up my poop with a piece of toilet paper, I zoom in and grab it! I run as fast as I can, poop flying, swerving left, right, left and right again. She must love it, because she keeps picking up my poop every time.

After a long, hard day of chasing flies, scratching dirt, destroying plants, and stealing poopy toilet paper there is nothing I love more than having a nap in my mom's lap.

I work at a restaurant where there is a pond with ducks, chickens, geese, and rabbits. She somehow managed to be the only one to hatch from an abandoned nest. She ran like a crazy thing amongst all the people in the restaurant. None of the hens would take her on so she's been with me ever since
love.gif
I live in an apartment so we decided to move to a place with a garden for PiriPiri.

The chickens at work look like Brahmas... I'm not very experienced with chicken breeds so I may be wrong. All buffs except for one dark hen. All hens have small red combs. Will try to get pictures of them.

Love the story and the pics! She's beautiful and she sounds quite spoiled and happy. I love that pic of her taking a dust bath, looks like she's smiling.

It has been an eventful week for me and I have learned the hard way that cats are not to be messed with. I wonder what they have against chickens...

The other day fluffy scaredy cat was stretched out in the warm sun having a snooze. I thought of joining him for a nap, but decided to rather peck at his nails. It's not my fault they look like little white worms! Fluffy cat was greedy though. He would not let me peck his nails and kept pulling his feet away. I pecked again and again when suddenly a big, fluffy paw came down on my head! "Dreeeeeeeeee!" I shouted as I ran to the other side of the couch, wings flapping wildly. Mom's head appeared at the top of the couch, calling me back. I walked back around the corner of the couch and there was fluffy cat walking right towards me! We both spun around and zoomed off in opposite directions. Lets call this one a draw.

Oh boy, did I have an adventure first thing this morning! Out on the balcony mom was cleaning with that scary sweeping thing and I was minding my own business, pecking at small bugs. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the sweeping thing coming to eat me up with its bristles! I yelled "dreeeee" and jumped through some bars to go hide but suddenly the ground was very far away from me. I flapped my wings hard as I could and landed on soft grass like a pro. I looked up to see mom leaning very far over the edge of the balcony, probably wanting to congratulate me on a perfect landing, but there was no time for that. A big mean, fluffy brown cat wanted to snack on my thighs! I did the crazy chicken thing and shouted and flapped and ran in circles until he got a fright and ran away. Turns out fluffy cats are all scaredy cats. A clear win for me!

I did not want to be outside any more and I pecked on the door to be let in but it did not open. I could hear someone banging on the door on the other side. I wonder what the emergency was? As I was deciding on how to get back home, I saw feet coming down from our balcony. My hero had come from above to rescue me! I ran into my dad's hands and he held me a moment before shoving me into a plastic bag. Not quite what I had in mind. He passed the bag up to mom's waiting hand. She examined me all over and stretched out my wings. Had they both forgotten the proper way to greet a chicken? Mom told me that if dad had not been home our neighbors would have returned home to find her sitting in their yard in her pajamas with me on her lap.

After all that excitement I had a nice nap.

Back
Top Bottom