The Story of the Crazy Chicken Lady

Oh, also, I guess the birds decided I wasn't stressed enough just yet! I figured out yesterday that by batch of bantams have scaly leg mites! yay! they are in a separate area than the large birds, but the large birds do go up to their pen... anyone think I should treat all of them instead of just the banties? Please say no...

You have a really pretty flock. Fortunately scaly leg mite is pretty benign if caught early, so treat those who have symptoms and keep an eye on the other chickens' legs.

You might already know there is a vaccine for Mareks that is administered within a few days of hatching. I thought I would mention it just in case, because breeding for would be hard for me to do personally. Here is a link with a lot of info on Mareks: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

You have a really pretty flock. Fortunately scaly leg mite is pretty benign if caught early, so treat those who have symptoms and keep an eye on the other chickens' legs.

You might already know there is a vaccine for Mareks that is administered within a few days of hatching. I thought I would mention it just in case, because breeding for would be hard for me to do personally. Here is a link with a lot of info on Mareks: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
I've decided to do only the chickens with feather legs, because they seem to be the only ones affected in either flocks. All are early cases, so won't be that much trouble. Another story!!! Some mongrel got in my yard, and attacked my favorite chicken (the dwarf BO) She went into shock, so I brought her in, gave her a bath, and kept her in for the rest of the day. Other than ripped feathers there was no injury... Was ready to strangle that mutt though. If it hadn't been for one of my pyrenees, the dog would have finished her off.... ugh.

And yes, I actually have a few chicks from an old order that are vaccinated. Not that it did much good, still had one die from mareks. I've decided though that instead of avoiding diseases, I'll meet them head on, and create a healthier flock from the survivors. I have the room and money for this experiment, and will see how it works out! And a while back I read through that thread, might do some touching up though....

Just saw this thread...you have a beautiful flock. Sorry to hear about your BO...hope she is doing okay.

Just saw this thread...you have a beautiful flock. Sorry to hear about your BO...hope she is doing okay.

Thank you! And I checked on her yesterday night, and she was acting pretty spunky again, so i think she'll be just fine!
big_smile.png

Sorry for now update to those few that actually subscribed to this thread, life has been absolutely hectic! and I have a tendency to add on more! The chickens have gone through no drama other than deciding to go off of strike, and the young wild rooster deciding that he's all that. I am happily waiting for the end of February, when I will be getting at least 6 chicks, and 3 ducklings to start off spring! Until then, theses are my most recent pics. To add on to the crazyness, a person decided to dump a puppy on me because the apartment where he lives won't accept her. The poor thing has been abused, and I'm having to act as rehab... oh the joy!

Sorry for now update to those few that actually subscribed to this thread, life has been absolutely hectic! and I have a tendency to add on more! The chickens have gone through no drama other than deciding to go off of strike, and the young wild rooster deciding that he's all that. I am happily waiting for the end of February, when I will be getting at least 6 chicks, and 3 ducklings to start off spring! Until then, theses are my most recent pics. To add on to the crazyness, a person decided to dump a puppy on me because the apartment where he lives won't accept her. The poor thing has been abused, and I'm having to act as rehab... oh the joy!

Crazyness is what keeps one young. Some how, I am up to 6 dogs. That is 4 more than I want (or need).
My 2 Rotties
1 beautiful, sweet Blue Pit who just moved in
1 beyond sweet Pit/Am Bulldog mix my granddaughter couldn't keep
1 hyper, but sweet hunting dog mix my grandson couldn't keep
1 8 month old Pit puppy my friend left here till she finds a place to keep her
They are ALL big house dogs. Luckily they are all neutered, good dogs and get along well.
We need another couch!!!

Haha, oh my, that's a bunch! I have 5 on weekdays, and 4 on the weekend including the rescue pup. My three dogs that I actually wanted are two great pyrenees, and a bernese mountain dog! The other two are both lab mixes. I love them all, but sometimes it is a little overbearing!

DH and I are retired and live on 5 acres. I just love my chickens. At the moment There are about 30 of them. My kids thought I was crazy because I really care for them. They are not JUST chickens, they are MY chickens which makes them special. They are slowly turning around especially when they come to help and get the great eggs. I also have 5 geese and 6 Muscovy ducks and Sheepie a lone hair sheep whose day is spent trying to find new and sneaky ways to get at the poultry feed. Bad sheep!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom