The strangest thing....

iFairyx

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 3, 2011
England
Hi all,

Just another oddity to report.

Yesterday we were all round the farm (as you do) and one of the chickens screamed, of course all
attention went on the chicken pen! All the birds had gone to one side of the enclosure and one of
our hens had died :(

This is their enclosure (except there is no hutches in it anymore and a few more perches about the place).......

All the hens went to the left side of the pen and the hen who had died was by their coop.

We checked to make sure no unwanted pests were in there, and we didn't see any cats (plus there was no marks on the hen).

We've had to chalk it up to one of those things (our flock have a lot of 'one of those things' at times), but
I thought I'd share.

If anyone has any ideas then please feel free to share :D
iFairy x

I'm sorry to hear about your hen
hugs.gif
It may have been a hawk. We had a similar experience a few weeks ago. We did see the hawk fly off and when we looked around I found a dead chick. No obvious injuries, but when we examined her we found a puncture wound under her wing
sad.png
It wasn't very big, but it was fatal.

I am so sorry to hear about your chicken. We had a new experience this morning. Our chicken coop is in a secure, predator proof enclosure. When I went out this morning for my usual goodmorning, check on the chickens, our favorite hen was dead, laying on the ground just outside the pophole. No injures or anything. I was so startled and sad. She was fine last night. I am thinking she may have had heart attack. Our chickens are only 7 1/2 months old and very good layers. So sad today.

Back
Top Bottom