The string broke on my auto opener

Schroeder

Crowing
14 Years
Nov 9, 2008
Central Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
I changed the batteries on my Foy's opener as a precaution. Sometime the same day the string broke causing the door to shut and stranding my chickens overnight in the blowing snow (but in a predator proof run). I've tried to replace the string but no matter what I've tried, I can't get the motor to turn in the direction to close the door. I had been using the photocell exclusively, but I also have the timer. I have the string wound up in the open position, with a knot in the string at the place where it enters the opener when the door is in the up position. It won't go back down!

Is there anyone out there who has any suggestion of what I might try? I've been working on it all afternoon and am about to pull out my hair. Foy's won't help because I am not the original purchaser and the unit is out of warranty. I suspect it might have something to do with which pins I have the connectors attached.

Last edited:
Quote:

Buy steel stranded cable, 1/16" dia. You can form loops using kearny clamps, but swages are stronger and neater. No more than the load is on a pop door, you could buy the swages and just hammer them flat with a hammer after forming the loop you need. You can buy a swage 'stop' to trip the thing at the designed for place. I can not comment on the wiring as I have never seen one of the things. I think it sucks that you can not get support on something you own just because you are not the original buyer. If I buy one, I will not buy Foy brand. Lack of consumer / customer support is a pet peeve of mine and why I will not buy trend micro antivirus. They have no product support, period.

Gerry

Foy's is not the brand or manufacturer, it's a retailer. I don't think they're expected to provide support for second hand merchandise.

I hope you can work out the problem.

Well I finally got the motor to reverse itself. I had failed to bridge pins 5 and 6 after I unhooked the photocell and installed the timer. Now I'm trying to figure out exactly where on the string the "knot" goes and how it works. I know this shouldn't be so complicated!

Back
Top Bottom