The Sussex thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Dec 27, 2009.

1. riverrockfamilyfarm

riverrockfamilyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2011
    I know that the Cuckoo Sussex that we have came from Silver/Light split Rooster. I also have a light pullet that also seems to have slight barring. I of our birds are Greenfire Farm. The original Rooster that start it all for us was a chick straight from Greenfire farm. Here are some pictures of our Cuckoo Sussex. I am collecting eggs from our Cuckoo Hens right now. The 3rd generation of these birds that I have seen that or full grown are amazing. Very big hens, with correct body shape and size. I have a broody that will be hatching this set. My website is www.utahwarmblood.com

Suzie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  2. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Quote:What great looking birds and the kids too!!! I love the fact that they are so docile and easily handled. Congrats on their ribbons!!!

3. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Quote:If you decide to sell them let me know. Where in Idaho do you live?

In Eagle and I gathered them all back in today so the fox and other predators didn't have them for a snack tonight.

I have a sister-in-law that lives near there. If you decide to sell them please let me know.

4. Tim K

Tim K Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Central, Oklahoma
    Im looking for Coronation & Light cockerals around 3 to 4 months olds. Anyone got any for sale that will ship to Oklahoma ?

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:Beautiful! [​IMG] Just gorgeous pictures and flock!

6. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Quote:WooHoo!!!! You only live about an hour away from me. [​IMG] Are you going to be selling any hatching eggs from any of your sussex this fall?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  7. LibertyChick

LibertyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Albany, NY area
    I have a question for all you chicken experts out there. As this is my first summer raising chickens...and I'm expanding my flock...so I need to ask the questions.

I have 6- 19 week old organic Speckled Sussex pullets and just got a very nice 22 week old organic SS Roo (I rescued him). None are laying yet. I've been looking for an organic SS laying hen but have been unsuccessful. So, I have been looking outside the breed and have found an organic 14 month old Barred Rock that I can get. She is laying a large egg about every other day. She was at one time the top of the pecking order but is now being picked on by several Easter Eggers, causing her to bleed.

What are the Speckled Sussex like in a mixed flock? What is the likelihood that this Barred Rock would continue to be picked on with my SS?

A quick answer would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    LibertyChick

8. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    YEEHAW- Just got home from Western Washington state fair.... We got lots of ribbons but my son said this was his best! His Light Sussex pullet did great!
    [​IMG]

9. crfarm

crfarm Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes or so

Nov 29, 2009
    KY
    Quote:I have some 5-6 month roos but would be more expensive to ship. they are 100% Greenfire line and $50
    I do have some up and coming 2 month olds that are $25 right now and shipping would be about $50 depending on box and weight. pics of parents and siblings

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. lillypurrs23

lillypurrs23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    This is my one year old Speckled Sussex, Nellie. I don't know if anyone noticed, but she was recently picture of the week. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by