1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

The Sussex thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Dec 27, 2009.

1. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Show off your Sussex! (This includes: Light, Speckled, and other sussex [​IMG] ) I have a Light sussex egg due to hatch January 13.. I saw the chicks parents and thought they where gorgeous! so i would love to see all your sussex!!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Here are my Speckled Sussex, I will be selling eggs in the spring if anyone is interested.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I need to get some new pictures of mine, these are from last summer.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    My Speckled Sussex are my favorite birds. They are not show quality, but they are good layers of medium eggs for us. The rooster is my bud. He takes care of the flock and even keeps the other roosters in check. One of our Orpinton Rooster loves to go after my son. Well, my Speckled Sussex Roo has many a time nailed that Orp and sent him flying to stop him from chasing my son. He also loves to be fed from my hand.

They are all shameless treat hounds.
    Our hens...
    [​IMG]

My Rooster 'Morning'
    [​IMG]

5. vegaschick

vegaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Las Vegas
    My Speckled Sussex (Jean) was given to me this past summer by a friend. She's not quite a year old and a bit extra fluffy (ahem ... I think) from having eaten a little too much scratch during the hot summer here in Vegas. I named her after the girl who gave her to me. She's second in the pecking order and willing to let all the others know it. She's kinda like a henchman or assasin for the head biddy ... she does all the dirty work to keep them both on top. [​IMG] When she molted her feathers came back with tons of white in them. I think it's an adaptation to the heat. I'm eagerly waiting for her to start laying. [​IMG] Yep, between moving in to a new place, extreme summer heat, molting, new diggs (we built a hen house and covered run), winter (yes, it gets rather cold here, just no snow) and a series of new companions... no eggs yet. [​IMG] However, 'hope' SPRINGS eternal and the days are getting longer...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Those are all really beautiful birds! What's the temperment like?

7. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    Quote:Im interested! I am becoming an addict to hatching out eggs! will you ship?

8. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    Quote:I actually think i like speckled sussex with more white like yours... VERY pretty!

9. vegaschick

vegaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Quote:Thanks!

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I actually think i like speckled sussex with more white like yours... VERY pretty!

They get more white after their first molt. Unfortunately that isn't the standard for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by