The Sussex thread!

In the next few weeks I should be getting Light Sussex Bantam eggs.
fl.gif

Well i have some bad news.. it appears my LS egg is not fertile but on the other hand i am getting 3 blck copper maran hens and 1 rooster!

Hey All- what has been your experience with broodiness in SS?? We would like to try them, but we want a breed that will have some reliable setters. Black Australorps have been a nice balance in this regard, but we've never tried the SS.

I have had one go broody last year...and then we had a skunk visit.
sad.png
Then this winter I had one start laying and within a couple weeks she was broody to the max! I broke her nest up because she wasn't with just my SS roo. I would say they can go broody, but from my experience silkies have all breeds beat on the broody department.

6533_000_0080.jpg

6533_000_0088.jpg

6533_100_1570.jpg

We have light Sussex from Greenfire Farms. They are very gentle birds and are easy to raise. The hen on the nest went broody and hatched chicks on her first try. I highly reccomend this breed.

Greg

If you are looking for Light Sussex, Paul Bradshaw, GreenFire Farms has a flock of six on Eggbid: http://eggbid.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=1262567749
That
is how I got mine except I got 8! There are already 15 bids I think and I am sure it will go up, up, up.

Mine are getting so big! Four of them decided to roost on the open door of their coop and broke the metal hinge. Tomorrow I am going to separate the eight of them into two groups of four and put them in separate pens. I did that a couple of days ago but tonight they all crammed back into the same one together. I think I have figured out which one is the second roo so I will put one roo in each pen. We are building runs for the breeding pens and should finish them tomorrow. I'll try to get some pics. Oh, and I have four Light Sussex chicks that hatched on January 1.

Mary

>.< Oh man im sooo jealous
sad.png
!!! Ive always wanted a Speckled Sussex..aaaalllwayssss! Those things are cute, awesome birds guys
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom