The Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hen) Thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by boykin2010, Jul 18, 2013.

1. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    Can anyone weigh in on the importance of obtaining papers for svarts from the breeder so you can prove they were imported legally? Ewe Crazy, do you all offer papers?

The government can come in and depopulate your flock without proper documentation. If caught getting or sending shipping eggs across state lines is bad too...I think. Others should chime in....

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
  3. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia

Just like most legal breeders, I do not share copies of my import paperwork with anyone. There are many people who would just love to get a copy to be nosey. The paperwork has a lot of personal information of mine and the exporters and that I just don't want that floating around the Internet. However, most legal importers receive home visits from the USDA in which they check paperwork and birds. So my name/farm name is on file at the USDA as being legit. So anyone who purchases birds from me or other well known importers will be fine without paperwork.

4. birdman55

birdman55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    i believe the paperwork they are speaking of is the form vs9-3....which i was also confused about when i was speaking with the agri import guy....i originally thought you needed the import papers for proof and after speaking with him he told me about the vs9-3....which is a form that a npip person fills out for a small fee to accompany the birds thru states to prove you are legally importing the bird to another state....hope this helps...thanks again bryce for the future birds....glad thing we didnt send them right now...the mail system is all jammed up in like tn and ky....delays are bad right now because of the cold storm...i ordered some stuff from gqf in georgia and it was supposed to be here thursday but now it is saying saturaday...maybe even monday...oh boy gotta love the cold...cant wait for it to be over with...n cant wait to get them birds....im impatiently waiting as you know for the warm spell

5. alchemist farm

alchemist farm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2015
    Northern California

This must be it :) If my end game is shoeing the svarts at our local fairs and being a reputable source for them in the future I want to be able to show where they came from.

Ewe crazy - your saying that me just mentioning yours or GFF name would be sufficient if I purchased from a person who purchased from you? Want to make sure I am keeping everything straight!

Thanks again!

6. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    Importing from state to state and importing from different counties are two different things.
    VS-9-3 is a pretty worthless form as far as proving importation. That form just says the birds are NPIP and have been health checked for a few diseases. It would have my name on it, yes. But not proof of original importation because the birds you are buying are hatched and raised in America.

Yeah no one is ever going to ask you to prove lineage unless you are running around claiming to have imported from
    Indonesia like some eBay scammers right now. That's illegal and you can get in big trouble.

7. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    If you purchase from someone who purchased from me, you won't have any proof whatsoever unfortunately.
    Secondhand birds have no proof attached because the new owners name would be on VS forms

8. birdman55

birdman55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    didnt know that about the vs form about secondhands glad to know...thanks for the info...cant wait to get the birds...this has to warm up soon...i totally got rid of two pens worth of birds for the new birds....

9. Purpletie3

Purpletie3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2014
    Upstate NY...
    Good to know...as mine have come from someone who purchased from you and GFF. Although, I have some directly coming from GFF too. I just love this breed. They are the sweetest of chicks!

10. CheshireKat

CheshireKat Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2015
    Virginia
    So I have a question....our Svart Hona rooster has gotten a white spot on each side of his head. I he supposed to have those?
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by