The Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hen) Thread!

Pics

Still learning...any feedback would be appreciated on top pic.

Last edited:
Has anyone else hatched a silkie feathered SH? I have 2 or 3 in the brooder that are 7 -9 weeks old that appear to be silkie feathered. They were hatched from the same parents - an all GFF trio - direct from GFF. Other than the feathers, they look like very nice, all black SH. There is zero chance they are mixed as the only silkie feathered birds that I have are only 2 months old and they are Silkied Ameraucanas, not Silkies.

I know the SiAms all started from 1 bird that had a spontaneous mutation, not the result of a mixed breeding. So if I had only 1 chick showing it I would think it was the same sort of thing. I only hatched 15 chicks from this particular trio before I lost the cockerel to flystrike, so 2 or 3 from the same parents tells me that both parents were probably carrying the recessive silkied gene.

KYT- I have not received any like those either. I have had 5 hona's from GFF. Haven't seen any from your babies that I hatched either.

KYT- I have not received any like those either. I have had 5 hona's from GFF. Haven't seen any from your babies that I hatched either.
Your eggs came from my other trio which was GFF roo over ECF hens. I am the only one to hatch any of the eggs from my separate all GFF trio that produced the woolly chicks. I lost that cockerel to flystrike before I started offering any of those eggs to anyone. Those girls are now in with a cockerel hatched from my first trio.

I am reasonably sure there are other GFF line birds out there that are carrying the gene for the woolly variant. Eventually, as people breed them together, I believe we will see more show up. The more breeders diversify their breeding groups, though, the longer they will take to show up. I am guessing my trio had at least one full brother/sister pairing in it which produced the woolly chicks. Since GFF doesn't supply any kind of breeding history on its stock, I will never know for sure.

Your eggs came from my other trio which was GFF roo over ECF hens. I am the only one to hatch any of the eggs from my separate all GFF trio that produced the woolly chicks. I lost that cockerel to flystrike before I started offering any of those eggs to anyone. Those girls are now in with a cockerel hatched from my first trio.

I am reasonably sure there are other GFF line birds out there that are carrying the gene for the woolly variant. Eventually, as people breed them together, I believe we will see more show up. The more breeders diversify their breeding groups, though, the longer they will take to show up. I am guessing my trio had at least one full brother/sister pairing in it which produced the woolly chicks. Since GFF doesn't supply any kind of breeding history on its stock, I will never know for sure.
Out of curiosity, Do you have a silky cock bird?

Out of curiosity, Do you have a silky cock bird?
I don't have any Silkies, if that is what you are asking. The only "silky" birds that I have , or have ever had, are some 3 month old Silkied Ameraucanas that were hatched about the same time as the woolly chicks. The parent stock that I hatched the woolly chicks from were normal feathered. There is zero chance of a mixed breeding with these chicks. It was quite a shock to me to see the chicks feathering out with the woolly feathers.

I think, but am not positive yet, that 2 of the chicks are pullets and 1 is a cockerel.

I don't have any Silkies, if that is what you are asking. The only "silky" birds that I have , or have ever had, are some 3 month old Silkied Ameraucanas that were hatched about the same time as the woolly chicks. The parent stock that I hatched the woolly chicks from were normal feathered. There is zero chance of a mixed breeding with these chicks. It was quite a shock to me to see the chicks feathering out with the woolly feathers.

I think, but am not positive yet, that 2 of the chicks are pullets and 1 is a cockerel.

I wonder if you will be able to come up with a new line. I have read about some big meat bird type of silkies in Asia.

I wonder if you will be able to come up with a new line. I have read about some big meat bird type of silkies in Asia.
I have been hoping to find at least one other person that has a woolly Svart to help with diversity, but the only other person I know of that had one lost it to a predator before it matured. It is going to be a much longer road to establishing a breeding group if I only have the normal feathered birds to breed to.

Back
Top Bottom