The Sweetest Hello and the Hardest Goodbye

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by bantychicken, Dec 2, 2019.

1. bantychicken

bantychicken Songster

Nov 30, 2013
    Salisbury, Maryland
    I lost my beloved rooster Penguin two weeks ago to an aggressive upper respiratory infection. He was 6 years old. I’ve come to this site for help so many times regarding him, he’s had upper respiratory infections in the past. He was such a good boy, the best boy. He didn’t have a mean bone in his body. He’d go to Tractor Supply with me and people loved on him. Kids loved him, he was so loving with young kids who’d pick him up and march up to their mothers to show him off. They’d set him down and he’d coming trotting back over to me without a care in the world. He was practically taken for a solid two hours one day by a group of war veterans who couldn’t get enough of him. He helped me rehab and comfort many chicks, regardless of whether they were his or not he couldn’t care less. As soon as he’d hear a car in the driveway he’d crow and wouldn’t stop until you said hi. He loved going on car rides, even if it was just to drive around town. He was so unique in a way words can’t describe. He was so special to me, and he still is. He left behind his two year old hen and three year old daughter. I took some of his hackle and saddle feathers and made a pendant with them. I’ll always have a piece of him with me. Our yard feels empty without him. Come spring I’ll be finding a rooster for his daughter and hen, but it’s going to feel so strange having another rooster around that isn’t him. We miss you baby boy.

Attached Files:

2. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz I want a hippopotamus for Christmas

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    I'm so sorry! He was adorable, and it sounds like he was an awesome little guy! I can't imagine how hard it is to say goodbye to someone so special! :hugs

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Raven steals Christmas

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Oh I am so sorry! :hugs It is never easy to lose them and it doesn't get easier with others either. They get so tangled in your heart, the heart can shatter when they go. I hope your heavy heart heals soon. :hugs

4. TwoShepherds

TwoShepherds Crowing

Apr 4, 2019
    Southeast TN
    He sounds extraordinary. I'm so sorry for your loss.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sorry for your loss. All matter - some just matter more. :hugs

6. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

He was a handsome guy.
    Good to know you have a daughter from him so he's still around.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So very sorry for his loss. :hugs We all grieve in our own way. He will live on through his daughter and any chicks she produces.

TwoCrows and chrissynemetz like this.
  8. CalBickieMomma

CalBickieMomma Songster

:hit

TwoCrows likes this.
  9. Cluckcluck1215

Cluckcluck1215 Free Ranging

Jan 21, 2016
    Maine
    My Coop
    Ah, the bittersweetness of owning animals. No matter how old they are, how good of a life that had, it's never easy. But, hey, smile because they were here, y'know? At least you had that chance to be with him.
    He was such a handsome boy, and sounded so sweet. So sorry for your loss. :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: